Single wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeleon

Dec 10, 2016
Plymouth, MA
I plan on installing my wood stove this weekend into an existing fireplace. I wasn't sure about the pipe I should run up my chimney. Can I just use a single wall stove pipe or do I have to use a double wall? The chimney is in good shape. I have a 1984 Jotul 8 Spin Draft stove. The chimney is big enough to use a single wall with room to spare. I'm trying to save money. Thank you for any help offered.

Why do I need a SS liner? I'm new to the wood stove lifestyle.
Well the simple answer is that that is what is required by code. The real reason is that in a chimney plain steel pipe wil not last more than a season or two. But you will not know when it fails so at that point you will have a pipe leaking creosote out into the space between the masonry and that pipe. When that ignites it is very dangerous.

I would say the best option for you is to check your local codes for installation guidelines. There is also an abundant amount of information on the ole google machine.
I installed new chimney last year and had I not read a lot before doing it I would not feel safe about it. Knowing what I know now I would have never lit a match in the old setup at our home. Your trusting your life to this so saving money shouldn't be your first choice. There are a bunch of folks on here that can give you all the best info. Also it never hurts to contact your insurance company and ask them what is required. Our insurance company was more than willing to pass us info on what needed to be done.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

It is exciting and boy is it nice to sit in the stove room and watch it dance. I will own a stove for as long as I physically can split / stack / carry wood.

Woodpro WS-TS-2000

Status
Not open for further replies.