Skidding attachment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HitzerHillbilly

Feeling the Heat
Oct 18, 2014
Northern Indiana
fa086c332041210549274643a025b305.jpg

Recently ordered this to use with the New Holland to move some logs out of my woods up to the house. I think this will be nice, instead of cutting all the logs in the woods, then hauling to the house to split. Excited to try it when it gets here. I’ll post some updates when it arrives!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use something very similar to that. Get yourself 12 feet of 5/16” chain with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other, and consider your rig complete. Next step would be tongs, but I’d definitely get the choker chain first, it’s more versatile.

Another option is just a simple drawbar on the lower links, if your tractor is big enough. Here’s a log I skidded that way about two years ago, although that’s my cutting partner on the tractor.

1a12e941339413a8be00a8628bde9f44.file

Excellent!

In addition to the chain grab hook on my 3pt forklift frame, I just added chain grab hooks to the top of the bucket of my new tractor, to aid in skidding. The old tractor had one hook, but someone on this forum with a pair had shown me how I can lift logs with two pairs of tongs, on dual hooks.

41169648-A185-4DD1-8B24-F1242AA7A5C6.jpeg

fa086c332041210549274643a025b305.jpg

Recently ordered this to use with the New Holland to move some logs out of my woods up to the house. I think this will be nice, instead of cutting all the logs in the woods, then hauling to the house to split. Excited to try it when it gets here. I’ll post some updates when it arrives!

I'm thinking of getting something similar this year. I thought about getting a root/log grapple but won't use it enough to justify the cost. I'll probably end up with something along the same lines as what you purchased so it will be interesting to read any updates after you've had it for a while.

190617_2000x2000.jpg

I'm thinking of getting something similar this year. I thought about getting a root/log grapple but won't use it enough to justify the cost. I'll probably end up with something along the same lines as what you purchased so it will be interesting to read any updates after you've had it for a while.

View attachment 255306
That one is easy enough for me to make- Ihave a something similar that has a 2" receiver on it on the bottom bar - easy change for whatever ball hitch size I need or a hook

Reactions: HitzerHillbilly
this attachment has been very handy for moving logs. I’ve been pulling logs that are about 40’ in length. Some hard wood some soft. It’s a handy attachment to have for sure. I looked into making one, but at the price point I found this at, it was worth it just to purchase and try it

I made something like about 10yrs ago. We mostly use it on a kubota b7100. If you can get enough weight on the front of the tractor and get one end of the log off the ground, you will be surprised what the little tractor will pull. These are the berries for pulling out wood