Slab wood stash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKVP

Minister of Fire
Word got out! Grabbed 2 more bundles. National Forrests closed to cutting...so provider got slammed with demand. This is for 3 years from now as I still have 10 cords.

Attachments

• 20210814_193345.jpg
    20210814_193345.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: JimBear
This was Wednesday noon flying home.

20210811_115833.jpg

20210814_193345.jpg

Last edited:
Smoking deal ( pun intended) it will be interesting to see how those slabs work out for you. It’s definitely been a dry summer, those might dry pretty quickly depending how you stacked. Lots of little mills around where I’m at but slabs don’t look near as meaty as those.

Smoking deal ( pun intended) it will be interesting to see how those slabs work out for you. It’s definitely been a dry summer, those might dry pretty quickly depending how you stacked. Lots of little mills around where I’m at but slabs don’t look near as meaty as those.
Speaking of meaty....20210809_121534.jpg

Word got out! Grabbed 2 more bundles. National Forrests closed to cutting...so provider got slammed with demand. This is for 3 years from now as I still have 10 cords.
How will you cut those down to length, out of curiosity? Do you have some sort of a jig, or will you use ratchet straps or something to hold the pile in place while you bury your saw into the pile? I'm always wary of small pieces, as they will easily skip and jump when you put the saw to them if you're not super careful. I'd love to know your strategy for processing those.

I hammer 2 x 2 posts into the ground. I also placed ratchet strap around the piles after marking every 17". I cut 1st bundle for 1/2hr last night but it was still above 90F and air quality horrible from fires.

I use a sawhorse for the small stuff. Mine is steel and has teeth, so nothing shifts around when cutting.

Reactions: MissMac
I hammer 2 x 2 posts into the ground. I also placed ratchet strap around the piles after marking every 17". I cut 1st bundle for 1/2hr last night but it was still above 90F and air quality horrible from fires.
When I unloaded the first 2 (dragged them off the trailer) I dropped them on the ground. The second two I dragged out and onto pallets. Boy are they much easier to work with and get straps around the pile every 18". This allows me to cut and stop and stack. No piles to look at. I ordered 2 more for later this week. Great looking wood!

I'm growing my own piles, just cut up the slabs from last year. Eventually I'll remember to take photos. I use a cordless sliding miter saw to cut the slabs to length along with a couple of roller stands. Those bundles look like they could be easier to cut with a chainsaw than the piles I had.

Reactions: MissMac and BKVP
Slice and diced. Stacking anyone? This massive pile is 3 of 4 16' bundles. One more bundle yet to pick up. 5 is just enough to wear me out!20210818_160646.jpg

The pile on the right needs to be split since both of my stoves are on the small side.

Attachments

• DSCF0247.JPG
    DSCF0247.JPG
    405.7 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: BKVP
Done! 13.7 cords of 1-5 year old tamarack and Doug Fir.

20210821_152815.jpg