Small hotter fire with BKK.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been burning ash..some about 8 months old..some twice that..there is a diff even with ash on the more seasoned.
Last night I loaded two med splits of ash on the bottom and one huge one on top..I mean huge.
Set the t-stat below one so the t-stat would not open.
I should have set it to 1.5 so that it would have opened because I had close to half the wood left this morning and the house was down in temp some..68 in the next room...still not bad.
I'm still burning the rest of that wood.
I thought it would probably be that way..but had to see.
This stove likes lots of med splits.

HotCoals said:
I have been burning ash..some about 8 months old..some twice that..there is a diff even with ash on the more seasoned.
Last night I loaded two med splits of ash on the bottom and one huge one on top..I mean huge.
Set the t-stat below one so the t-stat would not open.
I should have set it to 1.5 so that it would have opened because I had close to half the wood left this morning and the house was down in temp some..68 in the next room...still not bad.
I'm still burning the rest of that wood.
I thought it would probably be that way..but had to see.
This stove likes lots of med splits.

I noticed that too about med splits. Small ones just seem to vanish the second they go in, and large ones tend to not burn up completely once the other wood is gone. I think my wood is a bit more wet than I'd like though... MM says 16-17% on the inside, but I still hear a good sizzle when it's lighting up.. especially when lighting from a cold stove.
The manual says 13% or less is recommended :\

i agree loading it and set it and forget it. i love to just crank it down cuz i cannot stand it being 80 degrees in the house. id rather have 60. so this stove meets my needs in a lot of way.

Hass..

Have you split the wood again then check the MC?
If not try it...the wood should be fairly white inside also.

I hope the Chinook works out.
I have two friends that have houses of smaller size and I want to recommend this stove...or the Princess.

Hass said:
Yep, that's reading from the inside.

Ok..13 mc is pretty low..I have seen cardboard at 10%.
My two year old ash is at 14-18.

even my pallet wood is at 16% or so.
I don't think it can go any lower around here. The pallet wood when I stacked it up was at 16%... it sat all year and still is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.