Smell of campfire in upstairs room where chimney runs through and out the roof when stove is not burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TDurdin

Feb 15, 2018
Kingston, NY
I am in my second year of my Jotul F400 and metalsbestos chimney (both were purchased used). Everything started off great this year but now I have a couple issues.

1. My woodstove is not running as hot as it was last year and when I put in a new log it emits smoke into the room where it didn't last year. I understand that the wood I have been burning may not be dry enough and could be causing the temperature issue. Could this cause both issues?

2. When I am upstairs in my closet (chimney runs straight up through floor and out the roof) when the stove is not burning I detect a smokey campfire smell. This smell is also sometimes in the room when the stove is burning. This never happened last year.

I cleaned the chimney this past fall but I did forget to clean the top chimney section pipe as I needed to take that section off to get the brush down the rest of the chimney. Could this be my issue? is the chimney leaking?

Any thoughts?

Possibly when you removed the top section a lower joint came undone? Sounds like its leaking somewhere...

Time for a thorough flue cleaning and inspection asap. What you are smelling in the closet could be pyrolysis.

Is there an insulated stainless liner in the chimney or just a clay liner?

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Did you use locking bands for each section of pipe? I agree you need to stop burning and inspect the chimney before you use it again.

Did you use locking bands for each section of pipe? I agree you need to stop burning and inspect the chimney before you use it again.

Time for a thorough flue cleaning and inspection asap. What you are smelling in the closet could be pyrolysis.

Is there an insulated stainless liner in the chimney or just a clay liner?

Its the insulated stainless liner from the 2nd floor to the cap.

From the stove to the fist floor ceiling is the telescoping selkirk stove pipe (SELKIRK DSP6TL 6" Telescopic Double Stove Pipe)

Yes, I used the locking bands on each connection. I will have to give everything a good inspection.

Its the insulated stainless liner from the 2nd floor to the cap
I'll assume you meant to say that it is class A chimney pipe from the ceiling support to the cap, right? Did you install? If yes, was the top side of the ceiling support vacuumed out clean before closing it up? Are clearances at least 2" all the way up for the chimney pipe?

I'll assume you meant to say that it is class A chimney pipe from the ceiling support to the cap, right? Did you install? If yes, was the top side of the ceiling support vacuumed out clean before closing it up? Are clearances at least 2" all the way up for the chimney pipe?
Correct.

Ok, so after further inspection...

I went on the roof this past Sunday and found the cap essentially clogged up with flakes of creosote ( This past fall I wrapped the cap with some wire mesh to prevent birds from going down the chimney, I had two in my stove in October). The mesh was holding the flakes and I think causing the cap to be a little clogged. Which would explain why the stove was not running as well as the previous year (with no mesh wire). I took the cap off and cleaned it out. I planning to replacing the current mesh wire with one that has bigger holes (chicken wire).

Also, I took of the top section of chimney and cleaned that as well. It was pretty dirty from this year and the previous year (as I mentioned I forgot to clean this section when I took it off to get the brush down the rest of the chimney this past fall). I noticed the carmel like creosote (Stage 3) around the upper rim of the 2nd section of chimney pipe going down and also around the cap. It also seems to have run down the outside of the chimney a little as well.

I am guessing since I did not clean the cap and the uppermost section of chimney pipe this past fall, but I did clean the rest of the chimney. The leftover creosote from last year essentially melted down the chimney into the lower sections of chimney, which would include the sections in my closet where I found a little more of the stage 3 creosote in between sections coming out around the band. This would probably have been the campfire smell.

Would it be it safe to conclude that the clogged cap, leftover creosote (top chimney section), and some possible unseasoned wood caused the stage 3 creosote to form and not burn off?

Is the chimney safe to use now? Since the draft should improve the stove will run hotter...Or should I thoroughly clean and replace any portion I cannot remove the stage 3 creosote before burning again. This involves removing 3-4 sections of chimney and having to re-caulk around the storm collar and flashing. I would prefer not to remove this portion but I also do not want to burn my house down.

Thanks

Unless you are required by law or have known wildlife problems I would not have any screen on the chimney outlet. The screen is an optional accessory on my duravent systems so they are screen free!

I just put a screen on in the off season to keep critters out.