Smelly Mini

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2011
MD Easternshore
Hello all, just found the forum while researching a problem. We have had a Enviro Mini for almost 5 years and love it. We use just under 2 tons during the season.

Now for the issue we are having. Last Jan we replace the convection blower due to the old one making some serious noise and putting out an awful smell. Near the end of the season when running the stove on the highest setting noticed a slight smell, didn't think much about it then. Fast forward to this season. Cleaned the stove completely and fired up. After about an hour running on the 4-5 setting started noticing a funky smell, hard to describe, maybe electrical, but just enough to know something not correct. So go through the entire stove thinking something is in there cooking when it gets hot enough, the smell goes away with the convection blower off, turn the stove off during cool down or lower the heat output.

Nothing, cant find anything out of the ordinary, so with the sides off I figure it has to be the convection blower. My sniffer don't work so good so I get the wife to take a whiff next to the blower motor with it on and off. She says she notices the smell next to the motor during off but not during on.

So I think there is something up with the convection blower during high heat to put out the smell and crank up the stove to the 5 setting and with windows open run for 3 hours figuring one of 3 things, get worse, get better or stay the same. It may be slightly better or should say less smell now. Just wondering if any other Mini owners have had issues with the blower before dropping over $200 on a new one.

Checked out the Mini control board and burn pot Mods, looks great.

Thanks all great place on this site.

My stove runs the best with short cut pellets and am currently using Hamer Hot ones.

If your handy you can try removing the convection blower from the stove. use an extension cord and plug the convection blower to the cord. It should run on high and then you can see if your still getting a smell. If you get the smell you can assume there is a problem with it thus eliminating the stove itself.

As mentioned above, you should remove the convection blower and give it a good cleaning, and if at all possible, give the bearings some oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.