So angry with myself! Got distracted, walked away from Fireview, flue temp shot up. Did I break i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd said:
Yeah, I have done side by side tests with a Condar probe and external magnet thermometer and found on my single wall pipe the probe reads roughly twice the external temps for the most part but seems to go even higher as the external temps get above 500. Hearth.com members Wes999 and Pen have also tested this and found the same. I think 800 external temps are getting pretty close to that max 2100 internal temp threshold for a liner.

OK, then what's my next step? How do I *confirm* whether or not the liner is OK? Should I have a sweep come check it out? What would he be looking for?

Setting aside the liner, let's talk about the stove. The stovetop was like 400f. Can I assume that the stove itself is fine and that, at worst, I may have f'd up the liner and black stove pipe?

I say you are ok. Nothing was glowing and that 700-800 external temps was only for a relatively short time.

As far as the stove goes, I think your probably fine there as well but it wouldn't hurt to check the bypass plate for a little warpage since that is where most of the heat was going. Stick a piece of paper up there and close the bypass on it and make sure it's a tight seal.

I've done this a few times over the years with my Fireview and a couple years ago I pulled my liner out to install a cleanout tee and the liner looked fine, just a little discoloration on the bottom 1 or 2'.

Status
Not open for further replies.