So guys, is this a good price on a buck stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
Hey guys. I got a bid today from a local dealer, very nice guys and very helpful. They faxed me a bid and this was the breakdown.

1) Buck 18 insert with blower, no shroud all black - 1899.00

2) Adjustable supports for insert - 45.00

3) 12' of titanium sleeve - 300.00 ( I may need a bit more than 12')

4) top plate, quick cap, stove paint and glue, etc - 225.00

5)Total is 2492.96.

Then if I want they charge another 350.00 to install it.

I have always heard buck is a good stove and I don't doubt that they are, but this place seems to really push buck stoves and promises me that I won't find a better stove for less. I don't have any reason to feel they are trying to rip me off, but even if it is a few hundred dollars I may want to look elsewhere.

This is of course all new to me so your advice on this is appreciated. I am thinking I will try and install it myself, but I still am undecided on that. I have a zero clearance fireplace currently so I know my options are limited but I also know anything I get, even if it is the most basic of basics will be a vast improvement.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Fair deal, any other options?

Thanks!

That is a lil bitty stove. For that kind of dough I would expect a much larger stove. I think Bucks must have some major markup. I ran into a guy that was really pushing them over everything else in his store when I was last stove shopping.

BrotherBart said:
That is a lil bitty stove. For that kind of dough I would expect a much larger stove. I think Bucks must have some major markup. I ran into a guy that was really pushing them over everything else in his store when I was last stove shopping.

Yeah I kinda figured that. Like I said I don't doubt that buck is a good stove, but if it's expensive it's expensive no matter how good of a deal it may be. I was looking as osburns as they seem to be more in my price range. I guess you could say I'm looking for the "honda civic" of wood z inserts. lol Nothing fancy, just starts up and works good for a long time. The only real option I want is a blower.

What other brands would you reccommend? The dimensions I have are:

1) Measurement from side to side of the main opening.- 36" wide

2) From top to the bottom on]f the main opening - 21" (what is the smoke shelf?)

3) From main opening to the back of the fireplace - 18"

4) The width at the back of the fire box where it tapers back is 21" tall by 22" wide.

I'm a little confused here. Isn't the Buck 18 installation only allowable in all-masonry fireplaces? I thought this setup was a zero-clearance fireplace.

How large a home? How large is the room? Open floorplan? What state are you located in?

One other thing. This dealer says I cannot put a shroud on this or any new insert because my current fireplace has a blower on it and that would cover up the vents???

I WANT to cover them up as they look like crap. I guess I could remove them and repaint them to make the look nicer but still.

BeGreen said:
I'm a little confused here. Isn't the Buck 18 installation only allowable in all-masonry fireplaces? I thought this setup was a zero-clearance fireplace.

How large a home? How large is the room? Open floorplan? What state are you located in?

Well I have had 2 dealers tell me I have a zero clearance FP so if they don't know.......I don't either I guess.

To answer your question. The area I am heating (the main floor) is approx. 1400 sq ft I think. It is rather open living room, tv room and kitchen with bedrooms on either side of this area. Exact measurements i do not have on this area. I am in southern MO.

From the manual:

"The Model 18 may be installed using an all masonry fireplace built in accordance with the
Uniform Building Code and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The first step in
this type of installation is to determine the acceptability of the fireplace and chimney for use
with a woodstove. Both the construction and condition of the fireplace are important considerations
when installing a woodstove."

Did you check out the Quadrafire 2700i that was recommended earlier? That is designed for ZC fireplaces. Another, option if you are in this price range might be the Hearthstone Homestead, though it would require a hearth extension.

Attachments

• homestead.jpg
    homestead.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 348
BeGreen said:
From the manual:

"The Model 18 may be installed using an all masonry fireplace built in accordance with the
Uniform Building Code and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). The first step in
this type of installation is to determine the acceptability of the fireplace and chimney for use
with a woodstove. Both the construction and condition of the fireplace are important considerations
when installing a woodstove."

Did you check out the Quadrafire 2700i that was recommended earlier?

Yes I did, looks good. The price range was 1600-3600 on the website. I have left a message with the 1 somewhat local dealer near me but have not heard back yet. Thanks for that manual clip there, I'm gonna call this dealer back and ask him about that.

Question - If I find a good deal on something online I would imagine the cost of shipping would erase most if not all of my savings wouldn't it?

That's a pretty dramatic price range. It should be towards the lower number.

As far as online purchasing, it depends on how far it has to ship. Be careful to be sure it is exactly what you want though, the return expenses would be costly. If this is your first woodstove I would line up with a really good dealer in the area, one that knows their stuff and can provide support and guidance as needed. But if none available, then you may not have a choice.

[quote author="BeGreen" date="1212189101"]From the manual:

"The Model 18 may be installed using an all masonry fireplace

Question on the wording above. Does the word MAY mean that it can be either or with regard to installation. I'm not defending anyone and have not heard back from this dealer yet, but just thinking ahead since it did not say may ONLY be installed......

Hate being so picky, but thanks in advance.

The way I read it is that it may be used as a freestanding stove or it may be installed in an all masonry fireplace, with given caveats.

Status
Not open for further replies.