so how much wood have you used so far

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack_90125

Jan 9, 2011
NE Iowa
well I have used almost a cord a month so far since october.and my 2500 sq ft has been quite comfy. we have been down below zero quite a bit for this early in the winter.coldest was 21 below which normally waits till jan or feb.so if it continues and even tho we started 2 months early this year we might still get by with less wood than last year. will see. Capture.PNG

From Mid October to now I used 1.25 cords. Feb 1st is the half way point for my area. So I'm burning just under a cord a month. It won't bother me if I have to tap into 2014 wood to get me through April if need be.

I started with a half a cord, then I started pulling the oak and hard maple out of it and setting it on the side. Then I decided to start pulling off the ends of some of the other stacks for some bizarre reason. I think I saw my 4yo going a bit too close to the stacks for my comfort. Short answer is probably a cord or so, but I really don't know.

probly 1.5

Not quite a cord burning about 12 hrs a day.

I was calculating what I used last night and its just under a cord, we've had some colder than normal and a few days warmer than normal though degree days are above normal.

so I must be doing something wrong using more wood than most. will have to look into that.thought was doing well compared to last years use.

Ok. Have to clarify cord definition. Are you saying a full cord a month or a face cord a month. Just seems like a lot.

so I must be doing something wrong using more wood than most. will have to look into that.thought was doing well compared to last years use.

I feel the same about using too much wood. I am brand new, so I am sending too much heat up the flue and with time I know I will be using less wood and getting more heat in to the house rather than up the flue. At this point I've been concerned with creosote formation so I burn very hot all of the time.

I am using a cord as in 4x4x8.but in my storage area it is probably in reality 3/4 cord. as it is not 4 ft tall or deep just 3 ft.

You are heating a pretty big space (2500 square feet) in a cold climate. I don't think you're that far off. I generally use 4 1/2 to 5 cords per year heating with the same
stove and a bit less square footage.

So far, about 1.5 cord since late October. We're heating 1,400 sf 'round the clock with fairly decent insulation. It hasn't gotten very cold for any stretch of time this year.

1.2 cord heating 1900 sq ft since early October.

Right over one cord of doug fir for 24/7 primary heat from the blaze king in the cascade foothills. We like it hot!

I think just a little over a cord so far, but I haven't measured. burning the small stove upstairs, just by itself, in the beginning helps a lot with wood use.

I live in southern Ontario, Canada. I have used approx 1 1/4 cords to heat my 2600 sq ft home, but I also like it nice & warm in my house and I also do some cooking with my woodstove (harmon oakwood). If I was trying to conserve, I could of probably used under one bush cord (4x4x8), but since I enjoy a nice warm fire all the time, I keep my woodstove stoked. It has been quite cold this year so far, when compared to last years mild winter for me. Last year I think it was below freezing once or twice before the new year, but this year has scene atleast a dozen days below freezing so far (for the daytime high, and several degrees below freezing at night).

A little over a cord so far. Real cold weather is setting in this coming week in my area so we'll see how I do then. I had just under 5 cord for this season. I'm hoping it gets me by or I'll be burning some not so dry wood to get me through.

I`ve been heating mostly 24/7 up here in northern Québec since the beginning of October. It`s been a cold one this year. I`ve gone through 2 cords to date.

About 2 cords here, running both stoves. November was damned cold.

Still, we've been fortunate in that the cold comes in spurts, and you'll get a 2-3 day break where you don't have to push it.

Lucky that I can opt to work from home now. When it gets bad, I can stay home, work, and work the stoves. ;)

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.