So I called my insurance company today and I think I'm screwed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

letsblaze

Feeling the Heat
Since I did the install myself I don't think they will cover any damages if something happens with it.
here is the info she emailed me. Line 3 screws me.
2012-01-24_22-56-06_110.jpg

If the unit has been installed properly to Manufacturers specs and has been signed off on by the building inspector or fire dept they should not deny you coverage. If they do I would have your agent submit an application with another company or replace them both!

That's kinda how I feel about it. I hope this is just a small bump in the road.

On tip of that there is a 100.00 fee for the paperwork. I think the insurance companies are in bed with the oil and ll companies.

Time to change companies/agents.

Yeah, mine was done by 2 emails. I said hey, I installed a solid fuel burning appliance do I need to do anything? any inspections?

Got a response back.. "no inspection needed"

So I asked if I should call or visit my agent and get it added on...
Got a response back saying she would forward my mail to underwritting, then a few hours later I got another email with her saying that I'm all set to go.

I didn't have to fax anything, or do much of anything. No extra yearly fee, no filing fee.
New york central mutual is what I used.

When I saw that question on my building permit, I just wrote in "homeowner"
Since homeowners are legally allowed to do a lot of home improvements depending on your area. If your stove was inspector and signed off, tell them to go F themselves. That usually works reasonably well. Being ineligible because it wasn't done "professionally" is crap.

Btw, that is an absolute incredible list of questions.
Fill it out the best you can and if they give you a hard time just switch companies. You mind sharing the insurance company name? It's almost like they're trying to keep people off their coverage that have wood stoves. I'd almost guess that if... A totally theoretic situation here... Is that if your stove Overfires, and burns the house down... Then they inspect the stove and see that the welds are cracked... They can be like, oh well you lied to us about the welds being cracked! So we're going to deny your claim. Or if your chimney length is 1' longer than what you wrote down on the paper... Or some other garbage excuse.
The more I think about it, the more I would just switch companies. If you answer "no" for #21 you'd be lying unless it's an absolute brand new install... Since any burn will add creosote deposits the the chimney.

edit; Nevermind about the Ins Co name.. I see it's Pioneer Mutual.

No problems only solutions, so clean the stove up, pull a permit, have it inspected, and then get a new insurance company.

1D

1Dtml said:
No problems only solutions, so clean the stove up, pull a permit, have it inspected, and then get a new insurance company.

1D

I totally agree and once more, I hope you get a new insurance company. That's just not right.

My insurance co. sends out a yearly home update check list. I checked and wrote in pellet stove. No other questions or anything. Hopefully I am covered.

letsblaze said:
Since I did the install myself I don't think they will cover any damages if something happens with it.
I understand your concern. Fight fire with fire(no pun intended) Fire them and get a new insurance company. There are a zillion of them out there that want your business. You don't have to stay with them and their pompous BS.

I called my agent when I installed mine. She said she would have to come out and take a few pics. Took pics of the pipe decal that showed recommended clearance, we showed clearance in the pix with a tape measure. Thats it. I'd look for a new company.

letsblaze said:

I'll say it again no problems only solutions, so please notice that one of the lines under Line #3 says "approved by..."?

If you go through the process you shouldn't have a problem, as long as everything does meet the manufactures specifications, and it all passes inspection.

I would still get a different insurance company, because at this point they could have an excuse not to cover.

FWIW, on my installer's contract it stated that the homeowner is responsible for getting any permits, and making sure that it passed all codes, so don't panic based on a DIY installation. As for my inspector he cared not if I installed it myself, but made sure it was to manufacturers specifications, and all clearances were correctly observed.

1D

Just emailed my insurance company. She emailed me back a form to fill out for a "Wood Burning Stove". I read the info needed and 99% didn't apply to my PF100 pellet furnace. I wrote back that the form didn't apply, I didn't have a wood stove and I wasn't filling it out. She replied...OK...I'll note your file with the information you gave me in your email about the furnace.

If everything doesn't fit under vanilla with these insurance companies....they're lost for answers.

Ejectr, make sure they send YOU a note for your files -- my company (Liberty Mutual) sent an amended policy sheet noting I called them about the pellet stove. There was no change in premiums.

For sure, get rid of the Ins company if they play games.

I have had several companies over the years and had pellet stoves in here all of those years.

The current company comes out and takes some piccy's every couple years to update their files.

There has never been a word about the stoves and we have 4 in the house.

3 upstairs and 1 down.

When the stoves were installed, I did all of the work myself, called the inspector, he came, looked at the install, flipped through the book, took a couple quick measurements, scribbled his initials on the permit, smiled and headed out to his truck and drove off.

Pellet stoves are not a big deal.

The issue comes if you have a NON UL appliance such as a Home Made stove or such.

Even then as long as the clearances to combustibles are to spec, usually it can be worked through.

Good luck and don't let the Ins co push you around. If they want your money, make them earn it.
They are working for you, not the other way around.

Snowy

dump the insurance company.......it shouldnt matter who does the install, as long as they follow the instructions of the stove co and the pipe co. Definitely get a permit and have it inspected. In most cases,you are the AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) here......

That's totally ridiculous! NO manufacturer does installs, I believe. It's dealers and contractors who do them. I can see a Hearth and Home truck pulling into my driveway to install my stove. What idiots your insurance company are!

tjnamtiw said:
That's totally ridiculous! NO manufacturer does installs, I believe. It's dealers and contractors who do them. I can see a Hearth and Home truck pulling into my driveway to install my stove. What idiots your insurance company are!
+1

Interesting that the survey is for solid fuel, but fails to include coal.

The solid fuel surveys are pretty much common and my own insurance company mails one out yearly.

Found the link below on a Google search for Farmer Mutual in KS. Page 4 mentions solid fuel appliances. Not sure if the insurance company charges extra for having a pellet stove......

http://www.fmi-ks.com/pdfs/homeowner_underwriting_guide.pdf

tjnamtiw said:
I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.
I think all us that installed our own stove will agree that we did it safer than a stranger would. Our spouses and kids sleep here. I checked every thing 10 TIMES OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GUARANTEE THAT MY STOVE IS INSTALLED WITH MY FAMILY IN MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PISS ON THE INSURANCE COMPANY'S, WHAT DO THEY KNOW!!

You got me thinking so I called my insurance agent. They sent me the same form and told me it needed to be filled out for the Insurance company. They also need a copy of the permit.

Can I have your stove?

thedak said:
You're F'ed

I'll buy your pellets for $100 a ton.

mrjohneel said:
Ejectr, make sure they send YOU a note for your files -- my company (Liberty Mutual) sent an amended policy sheet noting I called them about the pellet stove. There was no change in premiums.

Same company. I called and they said "Noted on policy" and did not require any paperwork.

I needed a construction supervisor license to pull my permit don't know if this applies to you! My permit was $25
And the inspector came in my house looked at the stove clearance's and signed off. This is in Massachusetts you are may be diffrent. He also looked at the pipe outside but never got out of the car!

Status
Not open for further replies.