So I decided the poulan wasn't enough

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 290, just above the air cleaner and to the chain side of the little black piece are two little diagrams I noticed last time I cleaned the air filter. One has a little snow flake and one is a pic of the sun IIRC. What are these and what are they telling me?

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
On my 290, just above the air cleaner and to the chain side of the little black piece are two little diagrams I noticed last time I cleaned the air filter. One has a little snow flake and one is a pic of the sun IIRC. What are these and what are they telling me?

Matt

Winter / Summer operation. There is a shutter you relocate to draw warm air from around the cylinder for winter operation. Temps below 50 degrees.

EatenByLimestone said:

Matt
I don't know that model but there's probably a door/gate which you can open to allow the carb. to draw warm air from the cylinder head instead of cold winter air.
My manual says to use it below 40F.

Ahh, that explains it. I left the saw on the back porch one night this winter and it was a b*tch to start. I found if I left it inside it didn't give me any problems at all.

Matt

It won't help for cold starts. The jug isn't warm yet so the intake air is the same temp. either way.
I think the warm air intake is to prevent carb. icing. The venturi cools air further as it is drawn through the carb.

The new 290 requires the "summer position" at 70 degrees and above but the dealer said just don't worry about it and leave it in the summer position all the time. We're pretty moderate in the NW. It is not very easy to just flip it to the winter or summer setting.

I ran the saw again last night bucking my 36" logs into 18" logs. Man it's quick. Again though I thought the oiler was insufficient. The bar was dry but not hot and the chain moves very freely. I'm used to a fairly good amount of oil running on the chain so this is starting to bother me. I plan to remove the bar and check the oil holes and then run the oil adjustment screw back and forth to be sure that it is maxed out. I used a good half tank of as and only about a half inch of the oil reservoir.

I sure do like the steady idle and rapid acceleration of a new saw. I was shooting chips more than 10' behind the saw. It looked like a fountain coming from these 14" alders logs.

When I rolled the tractor past the rounds I could tell that the tractor was salivating at the thought of splitting those rounds up into firewood.

Highbeam said:
The new 290 requires the "summer position" at 70 degrees and above but the dealer said just don't worry about it and leave it in the summer position all the time. We're pretty moderate in the NW. It is not very easy to just flip it to the winter or summer setting.

I ran the saw again last night bucking my 36" logs into 18" logs. Man it's quick. Again though I thought the oiler was insufficient. The bar was dry but not hot and the chain moves very freely. I'm used to a fairly good amount of oil running on the chain so this is starting to bother me. I plan to remove the bar and check the oil holes and then run the oil adjustment screw back and forth to be sure that it is maxed out. I used a good half tank of as and only about a half inch of the oil reservoir.

I sure do like the steady idle and rapid acceleration of a new saw. I was shooting chips more than 10' behind the saw. It looked like a fountain coming from these 14" alders logs.

When I rolled the tractor past the rounds I could tell that the tractor was salivating at the thought of splitting those rounds up into firewood.
your ok on the oiler the new ones dont use as much do to "epa". I have had my 28 in. bar to hot to hold a few times last August Sthil bars can handle the heat

smokinj said:
Highbeam said:

your ok on the oiler the new ones dont use as much do to "epa". I have had my 28 in. bar to hot to hold a few times last August Sthil bars can handle the heat

Good to know. I figured that the worst case would be a ruined bar and chain that is, unless the chain got really tight and damaged the crank bearings or something but I would notice the tight chain. I still think I will check those holes and make sure that they are clear and at least as large as the powerhead's outlets.

Status
Not open for further replies.