So why did VC discontinue the Intrepid Non Cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Every 5 years stoves have to be re-certified to maintain there EPA listing. Our current Epa listing is Phase II.

VCc looked at its market position, then what the rtefactory package did to the fire box size, then the cost of re re- engineering
And it plain was not worth it. The current model run would not pass EPA Phase II.

#1 selling VC stove in Europe The Intrepid Multi fuel

#1 selling VC stove in USA the Encore

go to the post why Europe has better stoves at the top of current active list and click on the link

On Ebay AT $500.

Roospike said:
On Ebay AT $500.

Hi,

saw your post after mine......is something missing from your post because all it says is "on Ebay at $500" but that's what mine said.....

thanks

castiron said:
Roospike said:
On Ebay AT $500.

Hi,

saw your post after mine......is something missing from your post because all it says is "on Ebay at $500" but that's what mine said.....

thanks

"For" $500 would imply that you could buy it immediatly for five hundred dollars. "AT" $500 would imply that the current bid is $500 and could go higher.

castiron said:
elkimmeg said:
go to the post why Europe has better stoves at the top of current active list and click on the link

Elk,

Wrong color for me but here's a VC Intrepid II in green enamel for $500 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VERMONT-CASTING...3810078QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20598QQcmdZViewItem

must be a few yrs old because I think the model is 2070

regards
\

Well that model run was 1994 to 1998 a cat stove Little use one chip sounds like little use and good shape My Encore is the same collor as it heats up it goes darker not my favorite collor either but $500 for what I got a bargin

BrotherBart said:
castiron said:
Roospike said:
On Ebay AT $500.

Hi,

thanks

"For" $500 would imply that you could buy it immediatly for five hundred dollars. "AT" $500 would imply that the current bid is $500 and could go higher.

you're right...meant at that time.....probably will go to about 750 is my guess

yeah, the intrepids sell for a surpsing amount of money on ebay, generally. You can usually scoop up an old defiant, resolute or vigilant for a song, but even the older intrepids without any reasonable secondary technology seems to go for a good amount.

I agree on all points dylan. I hadn't really given it too much though, other than looking at the prices I saw and looking at the screen scratching my head.

Dylan said:
Corie said:
yeah, the intrepids sell for a surpsing amount of money on ebay, generally. You can usually scoop up an old defiant, resolute or vigilant for a song, but even the older intrepids without any reasonable secondary technology seems to go for a good amount.

I'd be careful about generalizing (OR drawing any conclusions) about the relative cost/value/whatever of the Vermont Castings line of used stoves. IMNSHO, the 'devil is in the detail'. Many of the Intrepid auctions strike me as being better 'detailed', ie, warming shelves, enammel finish, enammel pipe. It's RARE that an enammelled Defiant shows up...they're usually just big, black beasts....and many of them from the late 70's. And that brings up another factor, ie, relocation. The Defiants are an intimidating transport. The Intrepid, not nearly so. The Vigilant MAY have the highest BTU/hr to transport-difficulty ratio.

Hi,

I almost bid on a 3-yr old sand enamel Intrepid II on Ebay a few weeks ago...wrong color for my wife who wants black enamel...anyway, it went for a great price of $680!! I did however, find a dealer in Traverse City Mich that will deliver a new black enamel Intrepid II to my door (includes shipping and there's no tax to Ohio) for about $1525. Best I've found anywhere. He said I could also drive there (have relatives in Mich) and pick it up and still pay no taxes and get it for about $50 less....so...for about $1475 I could get a new black enamel Intrepid II. You folks found any cheaper prices...if so, please let me know?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.