Solar kiln questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
I’ve read through woodsplitter67 threads. My plan is to lay 4 pallets on the ground in a row then make ends out of one and a half pallets, adding 8’ 2x4s to make a ridge. I’d like to possibly get three rows of oak, this would likely extend slightly past the edge of the pallets. If I cover with plastic then wrap the bottom with stretchy plastic I’ll be tightly wrapping the plastic against the wood, that seem like it would be a problem.
Other thought is just two rows allowing the plastic to come down and staples to the pallets without contacting the wood. I’m also considering laying a tarp under the pallets to stop moisture from the ground getting to the wood. Thoughts? Obviously I’d like to get the most wood I can to season for next year, but I don’t want to create a moldy mess.

Keep the plastic OFF the wood you need air movement all-around your splits
Hot air rises taking moisture with it you must have some type of vent at your high point
of the kiln. Also free for air to enter at the bottom My kiln are like miny greenhouses
12 ft long 5 ft across and a peak at 7 ft slanted to 5 ft so rain runs off
Others will jump in with there ideas

I'm going to use pallets but build sides like a box so the plastic wont touch the wood, each section will be 10 feet long and 6 feet high. Hard to explain but I'll take a pic when it's done.

the plastic on my kiln touches the wood. Let the wood season a little prior to starting the kiln. your in NY so your weather is the same as mine. you want all your wood split by the beginning of april and let it sit.. wrap it the end of june/beginning of july. if you let the wood sit a little there will be little moisture on the inside of the kiln. also i woild not put plastic or a tarp down on the ground, just get the wood up.. like 5or 6 inches

Reactions: jaoneill
Thanks for replies, appreciate chiming in woodsplitter67. So now I’m thinking I’ll get the wood stacked on the pallets and maybe top cover until June. I have probably 2 cords split just in a pile, plus half cord on a pallet that fell over!