Solid Fuel Boiler conversion to Pellet Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ULMA1.JPG ULMA2.JPG
I have a Techton Sime solid fuel boiler I purchased new 20+ years ago. Burning logs has gotten to be to labor intensive and time consuming. I discovered last month the Pellet Burner. Did a little research and purchased a ULMA 2000TC pellet Burner from Tim at "Pellet Pro". I live in the lower Hudson valley of New York and the transaction occurred online. I ordered the older version with the manual burner cleaning feature. I also bought the auger and medium storage bin. Everything arrived on Friday and the unit was up and running Sunday nite. I had to modify the boiler door to accept the larger diameter burner tube (was constructed with the option of installing an oil burner). Installed everything myself with telephone support from Tim. Today is day 2 with the unit performing well. I still need to fine tune the controls as I use my oil boiler (piped in parallel) as a backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I'm using a similar style burner made by Pellergy. I've been very happy with it.

Can you provide a ballpark on the Ulma? Prices seem to be discreetly missing from the web site. I've looked at the Pellergy (which claims some auto clean-out, I guess) and choked on the $4675 price tag just for the refit burner. I suppose it is less than most full-on pellet boilers go for, but still painful.

The Pellergy unit comes with an air compressor for auto cleaning the burnpot and the air system works very well. The kit also includes a 550# bin, auger system and boiler controls.

Thanks, I apparently I missed the included bin, etc.

Thanks, I apparently I missed the included bin, etc.

I forgot to mention the price also includes a new door for your particular boiler that has the mounting equipment installed for the pellet burner. I have my system set up so I can easily switch back to propane in about 10 minutes.

I'm not sure why someone would emerge with a first post that appears to be a pitch for a particular brand and a particular dealer can you tell me that you are not associated with the company and/or retailer.

I'm not sure why someone would emerge with a first post that appears to be a pitch for a particular brand and a particular dealer can you tell me that you are not associated with the company and/or retailer.
Yup, I can. I don't see how my comment can be considered a pitch. I simply said I have a similar set up and I like it.

My bad. I assumed you were talking about the first post after the OP. :)

Well Im the OP and no I don't have any affiliation with the vendor or brand mentioned in my original post. Just thought the information would be useful for someone who may be in the position I was in when considering options for a pellet burner. Im somewhat surprised I didn't find any US manufacturers they all seem to be coming from Sweden (from the limited knowledge I have). I also didn't find many BB or forums discussing the topic of pellet burners. Anyway its day 4 and the burner has been functioning nicely. I still have to adjust the combustion or at least determine the efficiency sounds like something to do this weekend ( I have the time now that im not cutting & splitting wood).

The Pellergy is a Swedish design but is built in Vermont. So for me it was a no brainer since I live close to the factory.

This is something I'd LOVE to have set up when we build our new home.

I think Harman makes a few turn-key units that have the option to be auger fed from a large hopper....

I just wish there was a decent homeowner sized all in one pellet maker that can start with raw materials & spit out pellets. lol

I had a Harman PB105 in my previous house and once I got it dialed in it ran great! However, it was too small for my new place.

Well Im the OP and no I don't have any affiliation with the vendor or brand mentioned in my original post. Just thought the information would be useful for someone who may be in the position I was in when considering options for a pellet burner. Im somewhat surprised I didn't find any US manufacturers they all seem to be coming from Sweden (from the limited knowledge I have). I also didn't find many BB or forums discussing the topic of pellet burners. Anyway its day 4 and the burner has been functioning nicely. I still have to adjust the combustion or at least determine the efficiency sounds like something to do this weekend ( I have the time now that im not cutting & splitting wood).
I appreciate the info, and would love to hear updates on how it's working for you.

I forgot to mention the price also includes a new door for your particular boiler that has the mounting equipment installed for the pellet burner. I have my system set up so I can easily switch back to propane in about 10 minutes.
Did you have to do anything with your venting, to make the switch? I thought the auto-clean was an optional extra?

Nothing needs to be changed with the venting.

Originally the auto clean was an option, but now it's not. I actually have two of these units. The one at my apartment building had the compressor fail and I could only go three days max before the burn chamber had to be cleaned. I've gone 30 days between cleanings and the burn chamber is very clean using the compressed air option.

Reactions: chken
Status
Not open for further replies.