Solid fuel replacement for cord wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I burned ash, maple and beach last 2 years and only needed to load mornings and evenings, my house is very tite. I didn't get wood this spring for a number of reasons that completely fell apart so now I have to make plans on heating with wood again this year. with the blocks on sale I was just wondering if they are comparable and they are not so looks like I need to make a decision. Thanks for all the input guys!
They are not a bad option if you don't have enough dry wood available. But really you should be buying your wood for next year now at the least if not 2 years ahead. I can typically get away with one year of seasoning but many others cannot. Buying wood in the spring to burn in the fall is asking for problems

Reactions: mar13 and SpaceBus
They are not a bad option if you don't have enough dry wood available. But really you should be buying your wood for next year now at the least if not 2 years ahead. I can typically get away with one year of seasoning but many others cannot. Buying wood in the spring to burn in the fall is asking for problems
I would If i lived in a place I knew i was staying, i've never been in a home for more than 5 years my hole life and this one is going to be less than 3 full years too. Own my house but not the land it sits on...

I would If i lived in a place I knew i was staying, i've never been in a home for more than 5 years my hole life and this one is going to be less than 3 full years too. Own my house but not the land it sits on...
Ok but if you plan on heating with wood you are going to need dry wood. That means you need to buy ahead and dry it yourself, find a supplier of actual dry wood, or rely on the bricks.

I burned only about 200# of them one winter. At that price seems like a good deal. I’d be tempted just to have something really dry come February or March.

my thoughts were that burned hotter and longer than my hurricane wood (tulip poplar and magnolia)and I rationed them knowing exactly how much each load was costing me.

3 seems like to much and 1 really not enough. If I had the storage space and the cash on hand I’d do 3. If not then 2 and be a bit stingy during the warmer spells. They are easier to move than cord wood I think.
Evan

I mixed less than ideal birch with sawdust bricks my first winter and it worked well enough. In theory a BK can make use of filling the firebox and letting the thermostat take over. Do they overfire in those conditions? I would think you could get more BTU into the firebox with a brick shaped fuel even if it is less dense. Definitely not a good idea in a secondary/non cat stove.

In a noncat, the bricks can run away on you so only load a few until you can assess your stove’s reaction.

The BK thermostat controls the air fully so yes, you can load it to the gills and get a very long burn.

This thread feels anti brick but the bricks fill a need where the operator can’t or doesn’t want to use firewood but has a woodstove. Smaller storage footprint, cleaner, seasoned, convenient, no pitch, no slivers, supposedly cleaner burning.

If not for the additional cost, many of us would burn them exclusively.

In a noncat, the bricks can run away on you so only load a few until you can assess your stove’s reaction.

The BK thermostat controls the air fully so yes, you can load it to the gills and get a very long burn.

This thread feels anti brick but the bricks fill a need where the operator can’t or doesn’t want to use firewood but has a woodstove. Smaller storage footprint, cleaner, seasoned, convenient, no pitch, no slivers, supposedly cleaner burning.

I don't know about cleaner in the house. The bricks shed when loading even if they are 100% dry. I agree about cleaner burning and the convenience is second only to pellets for solid burning fuels. From what I have read on this forum the dust from pellets isn't great either. That being said the combustion contaminants from oil, nat gas, and propane are also quite nasty and I clearly prefer the debris from solid wood fuels over any other type.

I didn't mean to come off as anti brick. For me they typically don't make sense. But when I was hurting for dry wood I bought them. If I had limited storage space and was buying wood anyway I am sure they would be much more appealing.

I burned ash, maple and beach last 2 years and only needed to load mornings and evenings, my house is very tite. I didn't get wood this spring for a number of reasons that completely fell apart so now I have to make plans on heating with wood again this year. with the blocks on sale I was just wondering if they are comparable and they are not so looks like I need to make a decision. Thanks for all the input guys!

let us know how you make out

I think @BKVP burned all or mostly compressed bricks for a season or two a couple-few years back? Sounded like it worked fine for him.

I've never tried it, but I certainly would if wood wasn't "free".

I think @BKVP burned all or mostly compressed bricks for a season or two a couple-few years back? Sounded like it worked fine for him.

I've never tried it, but I certainly would if wood wasn't "free".
It was North Idaho Energy Logs (NIELS). They burned great. EPA had interest in the idea of manufactured fuels. AK paid for a study comparing cordwood emissions to blended cordwood/manufactured fuels and only manufactured fuels. From an emissions standpoint, the blended had the best result.

Keep in mind the test methods require 18-24% MC test fuel. Stoves are "tuned" to burn fuel within that range.

Burning straight manufactured fuel created a "rich" air fuel ratio.

I did burn NIELS for 3 years straight. They performed flawlessly so long as I loaded no more than 2-3 logs at a time.

But looking through the glass and seeing 2-3 logs in a 4.3 cu ft firebox just looked funny.

Occasionally I'll burn them, but blended with some tamarack or Douglas Fir.

If you burn them in a catalytic equipped stove, check out the raw material fuel source. I've learned through spectrum analysis they are not all equal. Some had higher levels of sodium other had melamine or metals.

Those high in sodium were from a coastal manufacturer where raw stock included drift wood. There was one that ground pallets and other scrap wood items as raw material.

Caveat Emptor!!

As has been stated, they are made from whatever goes through the grinder. I contacted one mfg of bricks claiming super high btu's and they had some explanation of how it worked out because of density and moisture content. It was BS, they are like pine or soft maple from my estimates. I get my wood "free" and process it myself. Plenty of room here. Hoping to have a total of 30-40 cord by hard water season.

Ask around at tree services to see if they have any dead trees coming down that you could get. That might get you a head start. Slab wood is another option that we have used when short on wood. It dries fast if covered, but burns fast. Pretty cheap too. It got us through a couple of rough spots

Now we have 2-3 years dry and the rest is logs. Total cost for us to heat is under $100/yr, which is awesome. Most of that is the cost of fuel to haul the wood, the rest is chainsaw gas, bar oil, chains, and electricity for the splitter. We are trying to get as far ahead as possible. Crazy times, you know.

As has been stated, they are made from whatever goes through the grinder. I contacted one mfg of bricks claiming super high btu's and they had some explanation of how it worked out because of density and moisture content. It was BS, they are like pine or soft maple from my estimates. I get my wood "free" and process it myself. Plenty of room here. Hoping to have a total of 30-40 cord by hard water season.

Ask around at tree services to see if they have any dead trees coming down that you could get. That might get you a head start. Slab wood is another option that we have used when short on wood. It dries fast if covered, but burns fast. Pretty cheap too. It got us through a couple of rough spots

Now we have 2-3 years dry and the rest is logs. Total cost for us to heat is under $100/yr, which is awesome. Most of that is the cost of fuel to haul the wood, the rest is chainsaw gas, bar oil, chains, and electricity for the splitter. We are trying to get as far ahead as possible. Crazy times, you know.

All species of wood have about the same number of BTUs/pound, although certain conifers are higher due to pitch content. 10 pounds of quaking aspen splits will have right around the same number of of BTU's as 10 pounds of Hedge, Oak, whatever.

I think the NIELs are a fantastic product, and if I could find them in western Colorado (closest dealer now is in Laramie which is 5 hours and 250+ miles away), I would buy 2 tons every season to supplement my firewood. I burned them when I lived in Washington state (where they and other products like them are ubiquitous), and was always impressed with the burn times and heat output I was able to achieve.

Well this turned into a bill nye real fast.... I was just wondering if anyone had done it and wanted to know if it was a cord wood replacement yet, I don't care to much about cost more about less work and mess and ease of use since i'm gone a lot and my wife has to run it.

• Haha
Reactions: BKVP and stoveliker
Well this turned into a bill nye real fast.... I was just wondering if anyone had done it and wanted to know if it was a cord wood replacement yet, I don't care to much about cost more about less work and mess and ease of use since i'm gone a lot and my wife has to run it.

In that case, yes, compressed wood logs are a reasonable alternative to cordwood.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Just have to keep an eye on the stove when using the compressed wood products, otherwise it's mostly like burning firewood.

those NEILS are the cream of the crop. A friend brought me a few when he was out there hunting. Not available in my local. ( freight from west coast is a killer) Most others that I have been able to acquire in my local do not reach the same standard. I have not used compressed blocks exclusively but always a mix. ( ya the not quite dry enough wood routine) With a move and various other factors my 3 year plan went up in smoke ( another reason for a 3 or more year plan). I am now back to processing . Fuel supply is likely going to need a bit of help from the blocks this year.

Reactions: BKVP and stoveliker
Out of curiosity due to this thread I grabbed a couple packs of biobricks from TSC and tossed a couple in the fire pit. The first time it just smoldered for a few hours. The 2nd time I had a decent fire going and it lit right up. I might grab a few more packs for winter to give them a run in the stove.

Reactions: EbS-P
Out of curiosity due to this thread I grabbed a couple packs of biobricks from TSC and tossed a couple in the fire pit. The first time it just smoldered for a few hours. The 2nd time I had a decent fire going and it lit right up. I might grab a few more packs for winter to give them a run in the stove.
They are definitely harder to start than regular firewood. I think due to density and none of the pieces are small. You’ll need a kindling fire or base of coals. Some brands of bio brick can be split apart into wafers that start a little easier.

Reactions: SpaceBus