Some white smoke from chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
Finally replaced the chain I bought I think in April on my Husqvarna 440. It hadn't been used for a few months. It was hard to start, must have flooded it because after waiting about 10 minutes it started but there was some white smoke initially. Just cut one round to test the chain installation. I may start it again later - but
research shows white some could be form a 'bad' oil/gas mixture. Is it typically too little or too much oil, or either?

probably smoke from being flooded
i would just re-tune and cut wood.
enjoy the new chain

Add some Seafoam...
1655074249500.png

Additives won't fix flooding. In this case it's probably from leaving the choke on too long. When you start a saw keep the choke on for three pulls max. Then switch to the high idle position if the saw has it. Most do. If it does not start on high idle after ~10 pulls, try choke again but only for a couple pulls, then back to high idle.

If you think it's flooded, turn the choke off and start it with full throttle. Making sure the chain brake is on of course. Or remove the plug and pull the starter a bunch of times to get the excess fuel out.

If you're going to leave a saw for a few months, empty the fuel out of the tank (run it in the splitter or lawn mower) and start the saw and let it idle until it's used up all the fuel in the carb. Then the fuel won't evaporate and gum up the carb. The vast majority of carb problems are caused by that. When you're ready to use it you can give it nice fresh gas. Engines start easier on fresh gas.

I add Seafoam to my gas,it has gas stabilizer in it.
My saws and anything that uses mixgas can sit for years or days i never know.
I don't have issues when something sits for a while,or years.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Made note re: starting the chainsaw to avoid flooding, and if not using it for a while.

I didn't realize Seafoam had a stabilizer in it. I guess it would be good for the snowblower too. I just happened to start that this weekend to see if it started. It did - with one pull. That wasn't the case last winter.

I put that Sh** (seafoam ) in every gas engine..

As per recommendation here I started putting that stuff in all my small engines too. Not every fill, i start adding some in the fall, when I know all the tools will be idle all winter. @Sean McGillicuddy , question. I have a relatively new ms261 cm (mc) and i am reluctant to add seafoam to it. It runs perfect. Should I still be adding some in the fall? Also, if I see one of the small engines tank is near empty come fall, i run it dry and put some true fuel in it.

It has fuel stabilizers in it , and helps keep fuel lines clean (no ethanol slime) I believe , this should just be something you usually do not just in the fall ...I'm no expert just letting you know what I do .. Since using Seafoam my engines seam to start and run well.

Reactions: salecker and Diabel
I use it in my vehicles when they start to run crappy and the check engine light comes on.
90% of the time the problem is solved,the other 10% i just ignore the light.

I can't tell from the photo, will need to look at information on the product - but I can't tell if it's poured or sprayed into a fuel tank. I'd think for a chainsaw it wouldn't be much of it. Especially since power tools/equipment are seasonal where I live, it sounds like it would be worthwhile to have Seafoam on hand. Also for older vehicles like mine.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy