somerset pellets not same quality as last year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not burned yet this fall so I can't tell you. I do know that no matter what pellet you burn, they will vary in quality since their raw materials vary in quality. One of the biggest reasons why Somersets are such a high quality pellet as opposed to others such as ProPellet, for example, is that Somersets use sawdust from their hardwood factory.

You will definately see variances in pellet quality, even with differnent pallets.

seem the same to me. i did notice quite a few black pellets. its like they got too hot during the milling process.

I'm getting the same fantastic heat from them as last year, no clinkers this year but I got a few last year, and very little fines. The big change I see from previous years is I am getting a lot of ash, where I always had very little ash in the stove with them previously. With no ash pan in my stove I am having to give it a quick vacuuming every 2 or 3 days, but I will live with that because I get better heat from Somerset's than anything else I have burned.

I noticed this years Green team pellets are not as good as last year. They still work great just not as good as before.

They seem better this year to me. I keep a small sample from every year in a little Zip-lock baggie. They are a little darker, but still the same small size. I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.