Sometimes I just want to THWACK the previous owner....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nojo

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2009
Western/cent Mass
...of my house. Aside from a LOT of other issues, they put the chimney in the silliest corner of the house. Then built a bar so you have no wiggle between it and a window. We put the hearth where the old one was so we could get the stove in last winter. Last year I got away with some rigged up wall protectors. The original hearth that was here was made from plywood, and wall protector was directly against the wall. When i removed the old wall protectors last year the wall behind it was charred somthing awful.. They were lucky the house didnt burn up on them.

So this is what I had to work with. I used Durok spaced 1"+ off the wall, and have a peice that bolts in place to go over the window. Can be removed for when we stop using the stove for the summer. It just sucks they put a masonry chimney here in this spot, then boxed the space in with a bar. We will be removing the bar in the future, but having to protect the window looks awful.

IMAG0577Large.jpg

Side Clearances for the englander 30 are 20" from combustibles, and 12 from non. On the left side its 21" from the bar counter (thats about 4 inches above the top line of the stove anyway), and on the right its about 14" from the wall, but just over 12" to the wall/window protector board. Its 18" above the stove top and 18 to the left in the rear. hows she looking?

Carbon_Liberator said:
Is it double wall, or single wall stove pipe?

Single wall pipe 16" from the wall with a UL heat shield attached to the sides facing the wall.

Is it possible that when the chimney was put in the kitchen it had an entirely different layout and the bar wasn't there? That looks like a contemporary addition.

What is the wall shield made out of? From this perspective it's hard to see details. Is it cement board? Does it have a 1" air gap behind it, open at top and bottom for good air circulation behind the wall shield? If so, it should be ok. I am a little nervous about people sitting so close to the stove. It can get very hot. Be careful there.

Also, is the wall that the thimble goes through entirely non-combustible for at least 12" from the thimble?

I was thinking about the portion of the pipe that goes into the wall. I was reading something in another thread about single wall pipe not meeting clearances to combustibles where they meet the ceiling thimble. If this situation is true, then it seems it would also apply in your situation where the single wall pipe enters the wall as well.
singlewallpipe.JPG

BeGreen,
It's Durok, and yes it is spaced off the wall 1+ inches. The thimble itself is about 2" thick concrete. It appears there is a stud to the left of the thimble about 5 inches from it and on on the other side. I do not know if it they are wood or metal studs. But if the thimble meets class A specs shouldn't spacing only be a couple of inches? We ran the stove in this configuration last year, and while I know that just becuase it worked doesn't mean its right the temps we monitored at very high stack temps seemed to be reasonable. I need to check and see what the thimbles rating is.

As for the single wall pipe being too close to the wall at an angle. Whats the suggested clearance? 18"?

nojo said:
BeGreen,
It's Durok, and yes it is spaced off the wall 1+ inches. The thimble itself is about 2" thick concrete. It appears there is a stud to the left of the thimble about 5 inches from it and on on the other side. I do not know if it they are wood or metal studs. But if the thimble meets class A specs shouldn't spacing only be a couple of inches? We ran the stove in this configuration last year, and while I know that just becuase it worked doesn't mean its right the temps we monitored at very high stack temps seemed to be reasonable. I need to check and see what the thimbles rating is.

As for the single wall pipe being too close to the wall at an angle. Whats the suggested clearance? 18"?
Yes you are correct, I made up that diagram in a hurry, couldn't remember if it was 18" or 16" so I just put 15".
Anyway, looks like your clearances in the thimble area are in question. A piece of double wall pipe in that one area would probably correct that one issue, the other issue BeGreen brought up might take a little more repair work if it turns out to be an problem.
Good you are looking into it. :cheese:

The radiator in the foreground and exposed steam riser pipe leading to an upper floor radiator that i see in the photo makes me guess your house is pre-1900 - maybe pre-1880 - construction. I doubt you have any metal studs in your wall.

Hmmm, how about moving the stove and throwing a new pipe out a wall and up.

JHarkin,
Your deduction skills are on. The house is 1882. The previous owner has been in most of the walls on the first floor at some point, we found metal studs in a few places. But I doubt they are metal there. I think the chimney install dates from the 80's.

Tom,
We cant really relocate the stove anywhere else in the house. There is literally no where else in the house to put the thing that would make any sense. Not without doing some very major remodeling.

Replacing the wall thimble would not be that hard to do. Unfortunately the guy who inspects the stove installs for the city has never once returned my calls, nor have i ever been able to get him in his office the few times i went down there. Its like the guy doesn't even exist. Im going to ask the insurance company to send someone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.