Soooooo - the Quadrafire Mt Vernon E2 just exploded.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobokenkitchen

Jan 24, 2014
PA
and i mean really exploded with a huge 'boom'.

My husband was sitting right in front of it at the time and got covered in glass. He is crunching glass between his teeth.

We went to Wood Heat and the tech is meant to be coming out on Thursday. Guess we won't be needing him now.
I don't even know what to ask them to do now. Do we want another of these??

waixso.jpg

It had just started up when it exploded.

Never seen or heard of this before. :eek:

Was / is this a new stove ?

Self install or dealer install ?

Brand new. It's had a couple of issues and the tech was meant to come on Thursday. Lolololol.

Dealer installed.

I am pissed because we have no heat, there is glass everywhere, my husband is covered in tiny shards of glass and well it's a bit worrying isn't it?!

I'm just glad it wasn't our toddler standing there. I've sat in front of it with her watching it start up many times.

11wango.jpg

Large amount of smoke in the stove from smoldering pellets on start up. Then that one pellet lights off, ignites all that smoke and kaboom. Seen it happen with wood stoves but never seen or heard of it with a pellet stove.

Sorry to see this happened,I would want some answers. We there any internal stove damage or was it just the glass

I don't know if there is internal damage. It's a bit jaggedy with the glass and I don't want to open the door in case it all falls out.

H says there was a lot of smoke right before it exploded.

I'd be on the phone first thing in the morning and demanding a manager makes a visit today, and also some emails sent to them with pictures.

Or a visit to the shop with pictures in hand and so on.

Play it calm, ask them what they plan to do to solve the issue --- New stove, I would not settle for less, and maybe another make based on this experience.

Also, leave it as is, do not remove the glass, just clean up the glass on the floor and put it to one side, don't bin it, send it back with the stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
just me but I would ask for a new stove and new vent, oak the hole works replaced.after a blast like that ya don't know what's issues you could have down the road trying to reuse anything there

Reactions: bogieb
Wow.. Would you want anther stove stove after this ?? How could you trust it ..

They replaced the chimney insert when they were here so it was 'all new'.
I agree that everything needs to be redone and we need a new stove.

I sent Quadrafire an email with a pic at the same time as I posted this.

We kept the glass and just cleaned up the floor because I don't want our toddler getting cut. I just hope we got it all!

I highly doubt this problem is wide spread tha model has been out for a while,but I would require all brand new everything and someone with years of experience overseeing things.provided I liked the stove

I just don't know. : (

I was thinking wood burning but a previous poster said he's seen this with wood stoves before too.

I don't even know exactly what we want them to do at this point. Ugh.

I have seen the blast with a wood stove, it is called "woofing", but never seen it blow the glass out. That glass is tough stuff.

I just don't know. : (

I was thinking wood burning but a previous poster said he's seen this with wood stoves before too.

I don't even know exactly what we want them to do at this point. Ugh.
Let us know how you make out with the tech,very interested to hear what he says?

Like to know the brand of pellets too. Its a contributing factor. Cold stove, warm stove.

Could very well have been that the glass was installed incorrectly putting it under stress prior to the usual puff at start up? Or there were some scratches on the glass before you got it. Scratches become 'stress risers' and are the first place that breaks when stress is put on them. Either way, a new stove is in order. You know what I'm going to say, guys!!! Pa. stove owner............ I wonder if the stove place sells more than PELLET stoves............. ==c

I've had that happen to a coal furnace before and a woodstove but never a pellet burner. Had to be a rich combustible atmosphere and kaboom.

You said 'on startup'? Too much hand sanitizer maybe?

I'm with tj, it could have been the glass was under stress at the very top. Could very easily have happened during installation. Anything unusual during the install? Did they have any difficulty?

I've had that happen to a coal furnace before and a woodstove but never a pellet burner. Had to be a rich combustible atmosphere and kaboom.

You said 'on startup'? Too much hand sanitizer maybe?
Fully automatic.

That is just horrible. I have never heard of such a thing, there must have been some sort of manufacturing/assembly flaw.

Definitely make them replace everything, including paying for clean up (smoke, glass etc.) and even lobby for another model and/or brand of stove is you so wish. Make sure to keep the manufacturer informed, that way if the dealer doesn't step up as he/she should, the manufacturer has a chance to make things right.

Couldn't blame you if you decided not to continue on the path of using a stove, but whatever your decision, Best of luck!

The stove was installed just before Christmas. I think the 16th and the chimney was cleaned and liner changed out at that time.
I started a thread about it recently in that it has been inexplicably shutting down off and on and the dealer was not being responsive about it.

We finally drove up there and spoke to them face to face and the tech visit was set for tomorrow (this was two weekends ago).

The stove had been running around 24 hours but had just inexplicably shut down and was making the whirring sound which in the past has indicated a block in the feed tube.

H turned off the stove poked the blockage and a bunch of pellets came pouring out. He cleaned up the stove and then turned it back on.

The stove has been doing this since install and in the absence of a tech from the store this is what we have been doing to get it started again and before yesterday it seemed to work fine.

It started up (stove was still hot) and filled up with smoke. My husband was sitting watching it start. Does anyone else do this? I know it sounds odd, but we both seem to enjoy sitting and watching the flame take hold.

That's when it exploded.

I have been using the Barefoot pellets since it has been colder, but yesterday was milder so I think I grabbed a bag of O'Malleys. These were sold to us as premium pellets but I don't think we will ever use them again. Assuming we keep using a pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.