Sorry Jotul Oslo owners....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never said that or posted about anything having to do with the side door. Please see OP.

[quote author="cycloxer" date="1262770774"]
Also, this is probably the first person I have ever heard of who does not like a side loading door.

You said you didn't like how you have to load the wood through the side door so that it doesn't roll up against the glass. I understand what you mean. You just don't like Jotul's application of the side door. I know what you mean.

If you have been burning wood stoves for 7 years, you must be an experienced burner. So you should be able to look at a stove and evaluate its general design and effectiveness. Did you do that before you plunked down the cash? If you really wanted a steel stove like the Summit, why did you buy a cast iron stove like the Jotul?

Your criticisms are fair and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. That's okay. The good news is that if you want to dump your Oslo, I am sure you will have no problem getting somebody to pay you good $$$ for the stove. Then you can go buy your Summit. I'd go check it out before you buy it though and make sure it is what you want.

I had some trouble out of my Oslo at first, then I realized it was my own error. It is not a steel stove, it's surface temp. does not increase instantly, I found that you have to shut it down sooner than you would think to keep it from getting 600 °F, it isn't a flaw, it is the nature of the cast iron. I also found out early on that if you think the stove has a problem it is VERY likely the wood you are using, the seasoned wood that I had for my smoke worked good in it, I thought, but to make the Oslo work it has to be truly seasoned. The wood that I have has been put up for About 18 months, this year my stove works better that any stove I have ever owned, the secondary engages within minutes after a reload, and will continue to run for hours. If the stove is giving you trouble don't blame the stove right from the start, try some VERY seasoned wood, the stove will reward you. It is very different that the old smoke dragon you might be use to, don't give up on it, you will love it eventually!

I can honestly say I have not had any of these problems with either the Oslo or the Castine (even with a rear exit) I'm calling operator error.
Joe

cycloxer said:
You said you didn't like how you have to load the wood through the side door so that it doesn't roll up against the glass. I understand what you mean. You just don't like Jotul's application of the side door. I know what you mean.

If you have been burning wood stoves for 7 years, you must be an experienced burner. So you should be able to look at a stove and evaluate its general design and effectiveness. Did you do that before you plunked down the cash? If you really wanted a steel stove like the Summit, why did you buy a cast iron stove like the Jotul?

Your criticisms are fair and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. That's okay. The good news is that if you want to dump your Oslo, I am sure you will have no problem getting somebody to pay you good $$$ for the stove. Then you can go buy your Summit. I'd go check it out before you buy it though and make sure it is what you want.

See post #28.

I was all set and ready to buy the Summit but wanted to help out my friend.

Is $1,900 the least you would take? How far are you from Fripp Island?
Joe

croghanite said:
I was all set and ready to buy the Summit but wanted to help out my friend.

So you bought a stove you knew you weren't going to like to help your friend? So his problem is now your problem?

Well maybe he can help you sell it now and help you carry in the Summit.

Just to be clear so I don't get a bunch of Oslo owners outside my house with pitchforks.....

The Oslo burns great, and is beautiful looking. I don't have any problems lighting a fire or keeping the surface temp at 500-600.

So the ashpan and glass door loading issue are driving you crazy enough to dump the stove?

As noted earlier this sounds like buyer's remorse and little to do with the stove. I guess I am confused about why the OP? With 7 years burning experience surely it was apparent that the Oslo was an E/W loader? I fail to find one question from the OP about owning an Oslo from another owner prior to this post. The short-comings pointed out are not universal, very few have issues with the ash pan door. Compared to some of the other stoves I've owned, the ash system on the Oslo is just fine. As a 2 cu ft heater, it needs to offer no apologies. It does it's job simply, efficiently and quite well. This is an easy stove to run and if you want it to get hot, it will do so willingly. However, if the house needed a 3 cu ft stove from the get go, it is not the stove's fault.

As for value offered, yes the stove is expensive now, especially when purchased peak season. The dollar has tanked vs the euro. Most everything from Europe has gone up in price and will likely continue to. However, for me value is determined by more than price. Aesthetically, it is a beautiful stove and with moderate care will continue to be one. That is demonstrated in its resale value. Traditionally a well kept Jotul holds its value very well. With the dollar devaluation, I sold my 2 yr old enameled Castine for more than I paid for it by selling in a hot demand market. That's pretty good value to me. The F400 wasn't perfect for my needs, but I still think it's a really nice stove and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a med. small stove.

croghanite said:
I am sad to say (only cause I bought it) the Jotul Oslo is a bad stove considering the cost. Everyone knows the ashpan is designed poorly, the front door design is poor as it lets ash out when you open it, and the fire box design is poor. You are forced to pack out the stove by stacking the wood in the direction that it could roll into the glass.

Anyone want to trade for a summit? I am very dissapointed.

I am a little dissappointed too...by the way the the community here has responded to your post. Castigating someone and hurling personal insults for expressing an opinion is not the way things are normally done here.
Looks like the flame wars one can see on political blogs.

Come on people get over it and stop acting like he said you child is ugly and stupid.

Croghanite, it's hard not to expect perfection when one spends a whopping sum on an item - but I expect that all stoves can have their quirks that can be annoying.
Yes, the ash spilling out the front is annoying - we only open ours once in a while to clean the glass. If you let the coals burn down
enough so you can get your hand in there, and use a soft brush (cheap wooden handled throw away brushes work good - 50 cent each) to brush the accumulated ash back toward the fire box the amount spilled will be minimal.

We have logs roll against the glass sometimes - no harm done. But we try to pack the load accordingly by using splits with angles
that fit together not sitting on rounds or half rounds. My issue with the firebox is the way having a large window actually reduces the fire box size since you cant fill the whole thing snug up againts the glass. I never owned a stove with a big glass door before so it didn't occur to me before purchasing - but I would still have bought the stove anyway - I love looking at the fire.

Trade offs, my friend -nothing and no one is perfect. Forgive the poor little stove and learn to love it just the way it is.

BeGreen said:
As noted earlier this sounds like buyer's remorse and little to do with the stove. I guess I am confused about why the OP? With 7 years burning experience surely it was apparent that the Oslo was an E/W loader? I fail to find one question from the OP about owning an Oslo from another owner prior to this post. The short-comings pointed out are not universal, very few have issues with the ash pan door. Compared to some of the other stoves I've owned, the ash system on the Oslo is just fine. As a 2 cu ft heater, it needs to offer no apologies. It does it's job simply, efficiently and quite well. This is an easy stove to run and if you want it to get hot, it will do so willingly. However, if the house needed a 3 cu ft stove from the get go, it is not the stove's fault.

As for value offered, yes the stove is expensive now, especially when purchased peak season. The dollar has tanked vs the euro. Most everything from Europe has gone up in price and will likely continue to. However, for me value is determined by more than price. Aesthetically, it is a beautiful stove and with moderate care will continue to be one. That is demonstrated in its resale value. Traditionally a well kept Jotul holds its value very well. With the dollar devaluation, I sold my 2 yr old enameled Castine for more than I paid for it by selling in a hot demand market. That's pretty good value to me. The F400 wasn't perfect for my needs, but I still think it's a really nice stove and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a med. small stove.

Very well reasoned response sir. I bought the stove before looking at it. All I knew before I agreed to buy it was that she(my friend) told me it was a Jotul (very good), that the dealor told her it was rated for 2000 sq' (very good), and it took a 6" stove pipe (very good). Going off that and the fact that she needed the money bad, I agreed to buy it.

szmaine said:
I am a little dissappointed too...by the way the the community here has responded to your post. Castigating someone and hurling personal insults for expressing an opinion is not the way things are normally done here.
Looks like the flame wars one can see on political blogs.

Come on people get over it and stop acting like he said you child is ugly and stupid.

It was all in the original wording - if you came in here and say "how do you stop the logs rolling into the glass?", that's a world away from just criticism against a stove that is well loved by most. If the author knows the Oslo has these 'faults' (and people have mentioned them in this forum) then my immediate answer will always be - why did you buy it then?

Sure, we could have been more understanding, but sometimes, especially on the internet without a way to convey feelings (outside of ;-P ), the tone of the original post will get people riled.

I have a feeling this thread has run its course.

croghanite said:
I bought the stove before looking at it.

I don't know what to tell you, because I don't operate that way. I can honestly say that I have never bought anything that cost $2k sight unseen. The Summit is a great stove. Why don't you go check one out in person before you buy it though, seriously. You'll have no problem selling your Oslo despite some of its 'features'.

Very well reasoned response sir. I bought the stove before looking at it. All I knew before I agreed to buy it was that she(my friend) told me it was a Jotul (very good), that the dealor told her it was rated for 2000 sq' (very good), and it took a 6" stove pipe (very good). Going off that and the fact that she needed the money bad, I agreed to buy it

1. Jotuls are very good.
2. Mine heats 2000 ft just fine
3. It does take 6 in pipe.
ALL GOOD!

I guess I dont see what you are complaining about. The stove fits all 3 demands. Of course you are going to get negative comments when you post about a wonderful stove that is not worth its money. You posted your opinion and now others are posting theirs. If its heating at 500-600 deg then what is the problem you are facing? The ashpan is fine, the logs on the glass says you have a personal loading issue, and the ashes on the door is a minor problem. What kind of stove did you own previously that the Oslo doesn't contend with?

And Suzie.. While I agree some of the previous posts by others were a bit harsh, calling my Oslo "ugly" IS calling my child ugly.

I'm going to close this thread. Agreed it has run its course. I will be deleting some of the personal attacks.

Crog, if we can help you get better performance from the stove or maybe help with getting the heat circulated please don't hesitate to post more questions in a new thread. You did a friend a good deed and as soon as this arctic blast has past I suspect you will be quite comfortable with the Oslo. It is a great stove. If you paid too much for it, that appears to be the price of friendship. Consider it a karmic donation and smile.

A couple things that would help to know is some information about where is the stove installed and the size of the area? If basement, is it insulated? How large of a total area are you trying to heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.