SOS - Mosquitoes in Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It sounds like water is puddling somewhere. This could be at the bottom of a tee, or in the ash cleanout, depending on the stove hookup. If there is no cap on the chimney then the opportunity for this to happen is high.
Can they get inside the house from the woodstove/path?

It sounds like water is puddling somewhere. This could be at the bottom of a tee, or in the ash cleanout, depending on the stove hookup. If there is no cap on the chimney then the opportunity for this to happen is high.
We do have a cap, no water, double wall stove pipe straight thru the roof (no masonry), 5' stainless pipe on the roof, new construction, Pacific Energy woodstove. About to loose my marbles LOL!!

That's an odd one. Are you sure they are coming from the stove?
If the interior of the house is cooled with AC then the interior of the pipe might be sweating. That's just a guess. You could try putting a bag over the top of the chimney pipe and a band around it to seal off the flue to see if that helps.

That's an odd one. Are you sure they are coming from the stove?
If the interior of the house is cooled with AC then the interior of the pipe might be sweating. That's just a guess. You could try putting a bag over the top of the chimney pipe and a band around it to seal off the flue to see if that helps.
No, not entirely certain they are coming from the stove. Just that we've plugged (literally) every crevice imaginable (even the outlets) & the swarm inside the woodstove is the only thing we can't seem to figure out. We will climb on the roof & put a bag over the pipe just for $h!ts & giggles if nothing else. Worth a shot! No A/C here (yet) so that's not a factor.
Here's a video for those who may be doubting this actually happens.
This happened last year too, so we were more prepared to tackle all possibilities this year. Plugging the outlets did seem to make a sizeable improvement, but still have another leak somewhere which lead to the stove investigation & how I ended up here.

Attachments

• VID_20230602_145006752.mp4
    7.9 MB
if you have a cold air intake going out side from stove need to cap that also.

Can they get inside the house from the woodstove/path?
If it’s a super or T5 look under the ash drawer. There are 2 air intakes. 1 round that doesn’t close, and then your primary/secondary that won’t close completely either.

It’s unlikely, but I suppose they could be following air currents. Wildlife follow air currents, maybe insects do too.

If it is a newer LE model then the secondary air intake is controlled by the EBT. I would be tempted to just spray the inside of the firebox with a powerful insect repellent and address the problem directly.

Me too. If its an aerosol you could probably just open it a crack and use a straw tip to spray it in.

This seems to be an unusually prolific season for the little devils. This is my first year with the Englander and we have more than the usual amount of skeeters. Every summer, I take the bottom cleanout cover off of the chimney (to let wayward birds fall right through while cleaning the chimney on the way down). I cover the pipe that goes through the wall with a Folger's coffee can lid. That seems to keep most of the little beggars out.

We live right by a creek with lots of bats, however, they appear to not be doing their job very well.

I’m pretty convinced bats will go after moths way before they look at a mosquito. Theres way more return on investment with the bigger insects.

Reactions: colin.p
We also have the same problem! 1st before any of you reply - to light a fire ASAP, let me say there is absolutely no way I'm opening that door. Impossible to open, light a fire & not have 100 in the house immediately.
So - the mosquitoes are there, don't know how. But - is there any way that they can get inside the house from there? We have so many INSIDE the house & we've exhausted all the options of - riding in with us going in/out, coming thru screens (haven't opened a window in 5+ days), & any other possible holes. We are wondering about the air intake (ours is in the wall thru to attic). But the attic has R60 (deep) insulation. Back to - can they get inside the house from the woodstove chamber? TIA
Direct a household fan at the door of the stove in order to open the door. The mosquitos can't fly into the direction of the blown air. Then spray to kill them...just a thought...

I'd suggest putting a baited mosquito trap at the top of the chimney since you can access it. Putting a bag over the top may trap them inside and force more into the home. If they are lost and looking for food or friends, they will be inclined to fly toward the bait trap.

To seal the air inlets used for combustion air to enter the stove from the house I'd recommend using magnetic sheets. You can get them at an office supply store and cut them with scissors to fit.

That many insects are unlikely to stumble into the same stove. I agree you need to find the breeding site. There is water somewhere, possibly in the fresh air supply connected to external air. Even a small sag in a flexible vent can hold enough water for mosquitoes to breed.

Once there are no more mosquitos in the stove the connector pipe acn be easily plugged with a balloon or one shopping bag filled with shopping bags. I would do this at the point where it connects to the stove or reaching in through the stove if there is a direct air path to the flue. This will prevent moist air or mosquitoes from getting into your stove.

Reactions: BillBurns