Space heaters and pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmcp

Sep 16, 2011
lower bucks
My basement got flooded not sure if furnace is shot or not.I am toying with the idea of buying a delonghi oil filled radiator to even out the heat produced by my pellet stove.The stove is on 1st floor family room then 3 steps up to liv/din/kit I am thinking of putting the oil filled radiator in the dinning room.On really cold nights fam room can be 75 degrees but kitchen area might hit 65 degrees.Anyone out there using small space heaters as supplemental heat.

You might try to consider this first. Put a small fan on the floor of the cool room. locate it in the doorway leading to the warm area.
cool air is heavy and hard to move. By pulling it toward the heated area, the lighter warm air replaces the cool air moved out by the fan. The cool air will mix and reheat with the warm air of the stove, and on and on. Cost a lot less than an electrical heater. If the fan doesn't help, then a small electirc space heater used to pull the heat up a few degrees will seldom hit the wallet too bad. We have one as an incert in our prefab fire place. My wife really likes it. the usual failure of fans it the expectation of blowing warm air into cool areas. Works with duct work but not well with open rooms.

I've always used those oil-filled units for supplemental heat. They are great for heating before it's time to fire up the big boys. They also can make you warmer in the further areas.

My rule of thumb is to use them with only one of the switches on - which means it is running at either 600 or 900 watts, not the full 1500. Still, they'll raise the temp of a small room by a few degrees which is often enough.

We use our pellet stove to heat the whole house but we don't have an open floor plan so there is one part of the house that is cool and we use one of the oil filled radiator heaters. The whole house is toasty warm and it barely raised our electric bill. We can set ours to cycle on and off.

Stupid question first: Do you really need extra heat in the Kitchen ? Ours usually rather needs cooling because the oven puts out heat when you bake and cook and the dishwasher vents his hot/humid air into the kitchen as well....just wondering

Otherwise we have a guest room and floor 36sqft total I guesstimate that we dont heat in winter, but can use the two electric baseboards if we have to. However at 72degF that costs me about 90 USD extra per month on my electric - tested last year to get a better feel for it. I found that quite expensive. 3 USD a day for electric for 40 sqft, wheras my pellet stove otherwise heats 2000 sqft for 2 bags a day - say 10 USD/day.

Would be curious to know if the oil radiators are really that much better than baseboard electric ? Anyone having some hard data/experience ?

Before we had the pellet stove and oil filled radiator heater and then after, I would say our bill went up no more then $20 a month. We are heating a 2816 sq ft home so it didn't surprise me that without an open floor plan, we need a little supplemental heat. My mother in law, who is 83 lives in an in law suite in our home and that is where we need a little help, in her area because she gets cold easy and gets cold more often then the rest of us. The radiator heater we have has a timer so we cycle it on and off 24 hrs a day if it's in the 30's or lower. It has high, med and low and we run it on med. The only other option would have been to get 2 pellet stoves and I was not going to clean and maintenance 2 stoves and lug pellets up to the 2nd story. This has worked out great for us and saved us ALOT of money already. We are also much more warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.