Sparks flew

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheAardvark

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2015
Central PA
I got a nice score of free Ash, about 1.5 cords. It was already on the ground and just needed bucked and loaded in the truck. While I was bucking the main trunk my saw started to rattle and sparks flew. I knew something bad was in the tree at that point. My chain was messed up bad. Turns out there was a chain inside the tree! From the growth rings it was about 40 years ago that the tree grew around it.

20171124_153435.jpg

Ouch!... I was cutting a huge maple a little piece from my house..(easy to get) that was already blew over from a wind-storm... everything was going fine until i got to about 4 feet from the root-wad... same thing happend to me.. wasn't a chain tho... ---barbed wire----- totally embedded...

I got a nice score of free Ash, about 1.5 cords. It was already on the ground and just needed bucked and loaded in the truck. While I was bucking the main trunk my saw started to rattle and sparks flew. I knew something bad was in the tree at that point. My chain was messed up bad. Turns out there was a chain inside the tree! From the growth rings it was about 40 years ago that the tree grew around it.

View attachment 216441
Yuck. And you were lucky enough to find it. Looks like you took a chunk out of it.

I can find one inch of metal in a 100' trunk, myself. Just lucky that way, I guess.

In the future when you see discoloration like that, expect some metal.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Dad had a huge triple oak in his yard. One of the three came down. So I took it all down. Bucking it up I hit nail after nail. I put those nails in there 50 years ago, building tree forts.

WOW....it sure is amazing what you can find in the middle of a tree....

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Dad had a huge triple oak in his yard. One of the three came down. So I took it all down. Bucking it up I hit nail after nail. I put those nails in there 50 years ago, building tree forts.

That is why lumber yards don't want "yard trees".

yep. i had a pipe sticking out of one, a toy truck in another, and a few matchbox cars that were placed in a knot-hole. that was pretty cool, it was like an easter egg!

Reactions: Paulywalnut

That is why lumber yards don't want "yard trees".

Yes, you should see all the "tramp" iron sawmills find! At $2000 to replace a large Circle saw and about the same for a large Bandsaw it can be costly!

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Yes, you should see all the "tramp" iron sawmills find! At $2000 to replace a large Circle saw and about the same for a large Bandsaw it can be costly!

My logger buddies carry a metal detector and clearly mark a log the cutters feel may have metal in it. The guy on the landing will check it out.

Interesting. I’m new enough this never occurred to me. Thanks for info.

Well I saw sparks fly too yesterday. I made a cut from the bottom up on a trash softwood log and touched a rock that was sticking up under the log. I ground the chain today and it doesn't look good so pulled it off and replaced. Will use for a stumping chain.