Split Ash :)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
On the way to the wood dump yesterday I passed this split ash, it's holding strong.

zap

Attachments

• 100_6037.JPG
    100_6037.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: Thistle and milleo
Zap, that is for sure one tendency of ash. It splits easy and will also barber chair easily. Burns nicely though.

Reactions: ScotO
1/2 of the splitting is already done. LOL :)

Be carful if you decide to fell that one ;)

Sav, I never burned ash, sold it to my neighbor before I had the chance.

Bogydave, I won't touch that so Mother Nature will need to do the job.

Maybe this second system will take it down.
A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE UP THE ATLANTIC COAST
WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY...BRINGING A CHANCE FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...ALONG WITH GUSTY WINDS.

High today of 39,warmest day since Monday,some of that 13"snow slowly starting to melt.Area streets & roads all cleared off now,still quite slick from the snow/ice pack..20 tommorow & 25 for Monday.Christmas Day high of 10-15 :eek: with lows 0 to 5 below.Slight chance of more snow later next week,too soon to tell much yet though.

Wind?
Been so windy & cold here some of the airport weather instruments quit working (NA) :)
Wind slowing down some today, only have gusts to 38 MPH , 10°
Wasilla apt:
wind.jpg

Zap, is that the same split from some time back?
Yes, it's the same tree,same pic. It's off the main trail, just off a secondary trail we can use but don't need to, we can come in from the other end if need be.
The tree does have a natural lean away from the main trail.

Reactions: WellSeasoned
High winds hit here Thursday eve through Friday eve. Took the dogs for a walk in the woods and found a good healthy row of splits laying over. Walked on up through the woods and found two trees I had been eyeing that were taken by the winds. One is a good size maple that had suffered over the years due to a lightning strike and another is a dead standing sycamore that came down at the half way mark. This is also a good size straight tree. I cut a few rounds off of it and took it to the splitter. Alot have mentioned how hard it is to split. I had no trouble splitting it, but it did break off some as the wedge was going down. I think I will cut this tree up and use it for shoulder wood. It was completely barkless at the half way point on up.

fingers crossed.......waiting INTENTLY......

Theres a split ash behind my house in my neighbors yard, every time its cold and windy that thing creaks like and old mans knees, it was cold and pretty windy last night and I could hear the tree creaking and cracking, one of these days it'll come down.

fingers crossed.......waiting INTENTLY......
We could get another foot of snow from the system hitting us on Wednesday and Thursday. We'll push in more wood tomorrow which will give us enough to get through for a while.

Sav, I never burned ash, sold it to my neighbor before I had the chance.

Bogydave, I won't touch that so Mother Nature will need to do the job.

Zap, you'll love the way it burns. Had I known, I might have brought you some!

The ash I scored from Irene will be on the menu next year and I know it's gonna burn great. I've already burned a couple splits this year and it's good stuff. Wish I could lay my hands on more.

Oh, and that is one big ash crack....Sorry :(.

Most of the wood I have stacked is ash. I've been mixing in some 20-24% ash with my seasoned wood to conserve this year. I've got them split pretty large and have been splitting them to smaller sizes the last few days. The ash trees I cut were standing dead but I had not noticed any borer holes in them until splitting smaller (also helps that the bark is falling off). Probably have 4-5 more standing dead ones that are on the town easement for my property and another 10 or so on my neighbor's neglected lot that I could probably take if I ask. Is there no treatment to stop this scourge on ash trees? I see my across the street neighbor getting their trees treated monthly, but none are hardwoods...eastern hemlocks.

jdp, hopefully someone will chime in on the treatment or you could do a search. I do know there is a treatment but also know it is very expensive.

On the way to the wood dump yesterday I passed this split ash, it's holding strong.

zap
Never seen a tree do that! Looks convenient though ;)

Ray

Reactions: zap
Pretty scary if that happens close to you Ray!

Pretty scary if that happens close to you Ray!
I can only imagine Dennis! 1st time I have seen anything like that.. Hope you and Judy had a merry Christmas!

Ray

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Zap, when mother nature takes it down it will be nice and easy for you to process. That is a good way to do it. It may be surprising how long the tree will still stand like that. Only time, and wind, will tell.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Zap, when mother nature takes it down it will be nice and easy for you to process. That is a good way to do it. It may be surprising how long the tree will still stand like that. Only time, and wind, will tell.
Did you get back in the woods and do some cutting?

Did you get back in the woods and do some cutting?

;sick Not one bit. First day off from work, one daughter up at 3:30 am sick. Dad stays home with her so mom can go to work. Second day, daughter still home with Dad and mom at work, son calls from school nurses office. Dad and daughter go pick him up, sick. Next day wife is sick. Dad takes care of all of them for next two days. Three days later Dad is sick, out of work for two days. Everyone is just getting back to 100% now. We were all in much better shape two days before Christmas, thankfully. But "it" still seems to linger with you. I can still feel it in me sitting here right now. Some kind of flu I guess. One day about a week and a half ago they had over 100 kids out of school and parents were all over the place picking up their kids to take them home sick.

After the family getting back to normal, Christmas and all the things to get ready for it came fast. We had a great one. All of us very fortunate. Now I am hoping to get out and cut some wood tomorrow and get it back home before the snow starts flying. I have about 65% of my wood for next year all c/s/s I guess. All is well. Tractor is running good. Merry Christmas ZAP.

Reactions: zap
Status
Not open for further replies.