splitter design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jamess67

Feeling the Heat
Nov 19, 2007
Central Illinois
Hey guys,
Ive seen videos of European splitters that slice the rounds into squares with multiple cutting plates. My question is, why do Americans use a splitting wedge or 4 way wedges instead of this slicing design? It looks messier but you get multiple splits with each stroke. Enlighten me please. Thanks.

Reactions: Wickets
I usually make rectangular splits with my single bladed splitter.

One of those lattice splitters might be fine if you have all straight grained wood and consistent sized rounds (or a huge table and a 150 ton pump), but I don't think my splitter could do 90% of what I need it for it it was fitted out with a lattice wedge.

(The stuff that those splitters do is faster and easier on the back to do with a splitting axe.)

On the other hand, those tree processors that use a lattice splitter and push whole trees through them... THAT I have a use for if anyone wants to buy me one. 8)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful

Too cheap? Try this one.

I love the tumbler and the wrapper at the end! Seen lots of firewood processors, but haven't seen those additions, before.

Very cool! This is my home made splitter design 82c5fb68289cc67e8dfd6f2fc683306f.jpg

, why do Americans use a splitting wedge or 4 way wedges instead of this slicing design?
Dammit, we're 'Mericans! That's why. ==c

Because it takes a lot of engine. More then what most consumer splitters will put out for good hard woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jamess67
I have a 14.5 hp on a 13.5 gpm pump. I'll try to link a video of what I was trying to describe.

Ya, I've done the same thing for years. Guess I'm just trying to reduce the work and up the efficiency.

Not a bad way, if you can get rounds that small, and avoid any big stuff. I bring home more 44" rounds than 26" rounds, and have had a few pushing 60" diameter. You're not going to run 1000+ lb. rounds on a rig like that.

I enjoy splitting first off. I don;t have the cash for that monster. And I like control of the size of my splits. Those are a little too small for me.

Looking good James! You have a system working good for the way you need it. Where about in Illinois are you from? I am originally from Charleston.

Not my system. Just an example of the slicing plates. Im about a half hour north of Bloomington.

Not my system. Just an example of the slicing plates. Im about a half hour north of Bloomington.
I have seen these plate system set ups for tractors...they are pretty slick.

Wonder why we don't see more of that design.
I would venture that the expense would put it out of the reach of the average persons means.I have seen smaller versions but they couldn't handle knotty stuff very well.

That was my query. Would it handle knots and does it require a bunch more power. I currently use a push wedge and not crazy about it. Maybe I'll transition to a push plate and a narrow blade

That was my query. Would it handle knots and does it require a bunch more power. I currently use a push wedge and not crazy about it. Maybe I'll transition to a push plate and a narrow blade
Check out the Tempest wood splitter on Youtube

I REALLY like that design. Wish I had thought of it.

I REALLY like that design. Wish I had thought of it.
Doesn't appear to me to take a lot of H.P. either. Haven't seen it running knotty stuff tho....

This is what I run currently..we can crank out a cord a hour pretty easy. This is my actual splitter that they built for me and they used it to shoot their info commercial.

Reactions: Jamess67