Splitting Elm...Need some advise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just gave up splitting elm. I get a little bit free each year, but end up just cutting it into discs. They dry well, burn well. But you need to have some regular plits to start the burn with.

Steve

Hi MrGriz, the elm was offered up around Nov. 3, so I am sure it is gone by now to some poor sod who will have trouble splitting it. It was on the east side of Milwaukee (which actually means the NE side for some reason, near UWM) so a bit of a haul for you anyway. We got some nice future firewood from somebody in Waterford in the early part of the fall, mulberry and maple. You should join Racine Freecycle, although I guess we will be competing for the free firewood that is offered once in a while. I just started checking Craigslist now that someone on hearthnet mentioned it. Do sign up for the daily digests from freecycle, or you get a TON of mails.

We have an old orchard (trees about 50 years old) so we are finally starting to work on our own wood that wants to come down or is throwing itself at us. We have a new neighbor that cuts trees for a living, guess I should talk to him, but some other guys in the neighborhood have already got ahold of him. Still he probably comes across more wood than any bunch of us need. I have been softening him up first by giving him free produce once in a while. :) Lots of woodstoves in my immediate neighborhood for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.