Splitting up some of the big stuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thistle said:
CTYank said:
Flatbedford said:
I leave the ones like that in the woods. Nice to have the hydraulics.

Sorry, too valuable to abandon. Not when a little noodling and wedges will break it down.

Noodle through the cross-fibers or just deep enough in the straight fibers to hold wedges. Quarter a/r.

Same here. If if its sound,it gets brought in from the woods or brought home here if I'm cutting in town.I dont leave anything but chips & small twigs.
Same here Thistle.....I use everything from 2 inches and up.......I like those little branch rounds for gettin the stove fired up first thing in the morning or for a quick blast of heat before I bank it up for the overnight burn......

Jags said:
Guesstimating that this quarter was around 300 pounds:

Huh, that explains why I went through so much Ibuprofen in August.

man that tree was close to the house! 5 feet is my guess.

maxed_out said:
man that tree was close to the house! 5 feet is my guess.
right around that Max.......problem was half of the top was hanging out over the ENTIRE house.....and the trunk had a bleeding split all the way to the base.......we've done bigger ones closer than that before.....just gotta use the right tools and tactics......and say a little prayer first!.......lol....

jeff_t said:
Looked like milling material.

+1
When I see some of the logs that are cut into rounds & split up for fire wood, it hurts.
I know how much it cost to go buy one 3/4" X 8" wide 8 ft long oak board, about $65 or more here.
Let alone the black walnut & hard maple. All premium hard wood boards.
But you gotta do what you gotta do.
Some beautiful wood goes up allot of smoke stacks :-S

:sick:
bogydave said:
jeff_t said:
Looked like milling material.

+1
When I see some of the logs that are cut into rounds & split up for fire wood, it hurts.
I know how much it cost to go buy one 3/4" X 8" wide 8 ft long oak board, about $65 or more here.
Let alone the black walnut & hard maple. All premium hard wood boards.
But you gotta do what you gotta do.
Some beautiful wood goes up allot of smoke stacks :-S
trust me, we would've had to do some damage getting that monster out of that backyard.....I did consider trying but it was out of the question.....now you guys are making me feel bad.... :sick:

I have posted this pic before, but seems appropriate here. "Big Stuff"

Attachments

• big wood_2.jpg
    big wood_2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 181
tfdchief said:

That a weeks worth of wood in one round. :)
What kind of wood?

Yeah chief that's definitely what we call a 'hawg'around these parts ......where's the three other guys who helped ya wrestle that big round over to the splitter??...lol....

jeff_t said:
Didn't split big stuff today, but I made some big splits. I have a bunch of ash rounds about 20-24" in diameter. I peeled off around the outside, so I ended up with a bunch of splits that looked like slabwood, and a big polygon out of the middle about 12" across. I made about a half dozen today, and I have probably 10 more rounds from that trunk. Long dead, probably ready to burn. Wonder if I can fit two in a BK?
I do that with standing dead oak all the time......makes fer good overnighters! As long as they are good and dry....

bogydave said:
tfdchief said:

That a weeks worth of wood in one round. :)
What kind of wood?
White Ash.

tfdchief said:

Yep Steve, that is the category I was working on. Much of it I had already quartered to get home. The little tractor that we were using to load my trailer couldn't lift a whole round in. So quartered it got.

Jags said:
The little tractor that we were using to load my trailer couldn't lift a whole round in.

Tractor on one end and log lift on the other? I've got a lot to learn.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:
The little tractor that we were using to load my trailer couldn't lift a whole round in.

Tractor on one end and log lift on the other? I've got a lot to learn.

Mama only raised one stupid son, and thats my brother. :coolsmirk:

I just split a huge (to me) 36 inch maple log - using the trator fork method it was a piece of cake. I was blown away as to how much wood was in this one 10 foot log. Love big rounds!

Attachments

• IMG00982-20111211-1455.jpg
    IMG00982-20111211-1455.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG00980-20111211-1441.jpg
    IMG00980-20111211-1441.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG00981-20111211-1443.jpg
    IMG00981-20111211-1443.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 115
Jagsy, you are such the Firegod..... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.