Splitting Wood With a Pneumatic Jackhammer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeGreen,

Have never used one of those little units. I would be surprised if they are fast with so little horsepower running inefficient hydraulics but again I have no experience so I cannot say.
I compare mine with an 8 hp hydraulic. I’ll let someone else compare the 8 hp to the little one.

Andre B,

You are very observant. I agree with your point of HP. I can split wood by hand with a maul and I cannot develop more than 1/3 hp at best. Therefore you don’t need much more than that in a splitter if it is set up right.

Yes, there is a set of open miter gears between the large screw and the small shaft underneath.

Could change to a fixed wedge design but may lose some efficiency from the elasticity of the wood. I wanted to get full impact on the wedge.

Good point on the “shark tooth”. Consider it gone or at least truncated.

Great application of principle. If this is your design, draw up some plans and instructions and make yourself some money. Think you have a market on this site alone for hundreds, unless you want to manufacture them yourself and sell them. You'll lose the cheapies, but this is really a great adaptation.

Have a friend who modified an ironworker trip hammer. Makes grape leaves for arbors at $6.00 each. Takes about 30 seconds start to finish. He tweaked the stroke and the contact surfaces. He can do them on 1/4 in.stock to 1/128 aluminimum with a few adjustments. But he hates to swing a hammer.

Uncle Rich,

My thought was to have them manufactured. Not sure most people have the capability to make something like that from plans. I already have all the drawings because I draw everything formally before I make it.

I don’t think it’s a stretch to get into this business except for the marketing part, which is always the most difficult part for any business.

Well, you certainly have the attention of this group. Maybe a good market source, and also a source for marketing.(Did that make any sense?) How many here would buy at the right price?

Uncle Rich,

I guess that marketing part is going to be tougher than you think. Thanks for trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.