St Croix Revolution newbe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are getting into the time when the true tests start. Tonight, low of 25 and tomorrow a high of 32. I will see how long I can stay on program 2. I am also going to narrow the high and low temperature settings so the furnace is maintaining versus trying to raise the temperature.

maacac said:
We are getting into the time when the true tests start. Tonight, low of 25 and tomorrow a high of 32. I will see how long I can stay on program 2. I am also going to narrow the high and low temperature settings so the furnace is maintaining versus trying to raise the temperature.
We got 6" overnight.I had to snowblow already to get the kids on the bus!
I set my temps at 70 high and 68 low and it seems to be doing great. I prefer it cooler at night but the wife has a lot of pull in that argument.If you know what I mean.
maacac, let me know how that works out with your temps.

Well, been doing some real testing finally, temps low 20's at night, highs low 30's in day. Was running smartstat, program 3, heat 3. Tue. night , rev shut down around 11 p.m., started around 1 a.m., shut down around 3 a.m., chilly when I got up at 4, stat set at 62, temp 63, inside, outside 24. Was just starting back up at 5 when I left for work. Last night (Wed), switched to t'stat, set at 64, prog. 3, heat 2. Got up this morning, inside 65, outside 20. Got home this afternoon, outside 33, inside 72 (too damn hot for me but wife was lovin' it ). Gonna leave it there tonight, switch back to smartstat when I go to work, in the morning, will probably shut down, clean it when I get home, go back to t'stat during overnight hours , smartstat days (until it gets REAL cold out). Get a fair amount of passive solar here when sun shines, so would be good to have it down on sunny days. Wife is ecstatic. Oh, yeah, about 1 1/2 bags Pennington in 24 hours.

hossthehermit said:
Well, been doing some real testing finally, temps low 20's at night, highs low 30's in day. Was running smartstat, program 3, heat 3. Tue. night , rev shut down around 11 p.m., started around 1 a.m., shut down around 3 a.m., chilly when I got up at 4, stat set at 62, temp 63, inside, outside 24. Was just starting back up at 5 when I left for work. Last night (Wed), switched to t'stat, set at 64, prog. 3, heat 2. Got up this morning, inside 65, outside 20. Got home this afternoon, outside 33, inside 72 (too damn hot for me but wife was lovin' it ). Gonna leave it there tonight, switch back to smartstat when I go to work, in the morning, will probably shut down, clean it when I get home, go back to t'stat during overnight hours , smartstat days (until it gets REAL cold out). Get a fair amount of passive solar here when sun shines, so would be good to have it down on sunny days. Wife is ecstatic. Oh, yeah, about 1 1/2 bags Pennington in 24 hours.

This is very interesting to me hossthehermit, I'm amazed at the temp difference between smartstat and when you switched to t 'stat. How in the world did you get inside up to 72 when it was set on 64? I've stayed on smartstat program 3 heat 3 and it's been comfortable 69-70 inside.I was thinking of changing to t'stat now this gives me every reason to. Only 1 1/2 bags??? I'm using 2 right now but I did try to trim down my fan.I realized that it was on 5 and I put it back to 3. If I notice a difference I'll set it to 2. I don't have that far to exaust. Keep us updated!

Revo, the thing to remember, is, that on t'stat, it's gonna run all the time (on pilot if it's not calling for heat), on smart it shuts down after an hour if it doesn't call for heat. That constant low fire is still throwing a lot of heat, maybe I'll get a stopwatch and post some on/off cycle times for the circ fan. How's yours running?

Hoss,

Great info. I have had some vacuum issues, but just jumped the switch wires for now. We have a few inches of snow on the ground right now and are calling for 6-12 more with winds out of the north. I think it is time to switch to t-stat mode also.

Even with the wind, we are a comfortable 69 degrees!!

maacac said:
Hoss,

Great info. I have had some vacuum issues, but just jumped the switch wires for now. We have a few inches of snow on the ground right now and are calling for 6-12 more with winds out of the north. I think it is time to switch to t-stat mode also.

Even with the wind, we are a comfortable 69 degrees!!

What sort of vacuum issues? Burn up your shop-vac? No snow here yet, had a 30 second flurry the other morning, but nothing on the ground. Great thing here is, north wind doesn't bother me, house is under a hill. What kills me is SE wind right off the ocean, may be 35 degrees out, but the wind cuts right through the house, and any exposed skin. Makes it hard to go out and take a leak in the back yard.

I have been getting the "error 2" code from time to time. When I jump the 2 wires that are connected to the vacuum switch, I have no issues. I am wondering if my north winds impact it..

maacac said:
I have been getting the "error 2" code from time to time. When I jump the 2 wires that are connected to the vacuum switch, I have no issues. I am wondering if my north winds impact it..

Saw somewhere, different stove, vacuum issues if the pellets get too low in the hopper, just a thought. 21 degrees this morning, 68 in here. Prog. 3, heat 2

Hossthehermit, mine has been working great, I was surprized that you got 72 with only a bag & a half of pellets. I figured that smartstat would use less than t-stat. I've been considering using my gas furnace just because if I use two bags of pellets a day at $5.00 a bag that is the same if not more than the gas I would use. Maybe I'll figure a way to use both at different times or something like that? We have 6-8" on the ground with 22-25 temps outside.......67-69 inside through out the day.

maacac said:
Have you tried a deflector?

Tonight's experiment - Switched to smartstat this morning,( wife did it after the sun got up), shut down as expected,( 'stat @65, temp inside @ 74.) . Got home this afternoon, gave it a quick clean, dumped ash pan. Switched to program 2, heat 3, back on t'stat. Trying to find that "sweet spot", where it will run on pilot to keep from shutting down, but not get so far above setpoint, don't want it running on pilot all the time, hate having it shut down, then start back up in an hour, heat curve ain't cuttin' it. Supposed to be lo 20's hi teens tonite, heading for the woods before daybreak, gonna get dat thirty pointer

15 outside temp this morning at 6:00 inside 67. I'm thinking of running the gas furnace in the day and the pellets at night.Any thoughts???

maacac said:
Hoss,

How many square feet are you heating. Those are incredible tempertures..

House is 32 x 24, main floor pretty open, 1 BR, 1 BA, rest is kitchen/LR. 2/3 of it is cathedral ceiling, though, so screws up sq. ft. calcs. one BR upstairs, but door is usually closed, just used for storage now. Also somewhat heating the cellar now, of course, nice to have that above 45 this year. Still running prog 2, heat 3. OUTSIDE TEMP 12 this a.m. @ 4:00, inside 65, right where t'stat was set. 1 1/2 bag pellets 2 p.m. SUN - 2 P.M. MON. Rough weekend at deer camp, son got a nice one, think I tore rt. bicep helping him drag it out. MRI Wed. a.m., know more then. Real groan typing w/ 1 finger on left hand. Wife said while I was gone Fri. night - Sun. night temps stayed wherever she had it set, still pellets in hopper when I got home, she put in 1 bag while I was gone just to be safe. I put 2 in when I got home, filled it to the top.

Hoss,

I noticed on another post you would like to try burning cherry pits. My father has been burning cherry pits for 3 years now. I plan on trying some of his later this winter. He actually gets them from a local processing plant during cherry season and spends the rest of the summer drying them.

If it works, I will probably dry some next summer.

hey guys, I want to ask all you revolution burners a question about ash. Here is a picture of my ash pan. The red circled area showes a white powdery ash that was produced during the shut down phase (cleaning schedule). The rest of the ash appears darker and still has more mass to it, and that is was the furnace produces during normal operation. The white ash is more comparable to my inlaws st croix free standing unit. What does your ash look like? I wonder if Im not burning completely, maybe not hot enough...and if so, how would I correct this? Thanks guys!

ashpan.gif

Juan,

I think that is just the pellets that were only partially burned at the time you shut down for cleaning. Don't know for sure, but I don't think it is an issue.

I'm getting the feeling that we are all getting settled in with our new heating systems, very few posts lately. I know that I, personally, could not be any more satisfied with mine, so far at least. Settled right into a routine, get home from work, go down, quick glass wipe, scrape heat exchanger, put in a bag or two of pellets, stand there and look at it for a few minutes, shrug shoulders, go back up, have a cocktail. Shut down either Sat. or Sun. morning after sunup, let it cool 3 hours, 30 minute cleaning, turn it back on, watch it start up, look at it for a few minutes, shrug shoulders, go back up and have a cocktail. 32 bags of pellets used so far. Hope all of you are doing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.