Stacking Methods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
What is your preferred stacking method (Alternating N/S - E/W , N/S Only or a combination of both) and why?. It seems to me that I can stack more in a given area with a straight N/S method, but I think that might reduce are-flow and increase drying time.

Many wiser and more experienced than I will probably chime in LOL

I don't really think it matters. I've seen folks on here stack a shed full or have covered rows with space between the rows. There's even a gentleman on here who uses an almost sealed shed to dry his wood, and it seems to work pretty well.

I think it's more about space utilization in some cases than trying to find the most effective direction. There may also be a wood species factor in there too, but I think as long as you're not lumping it in a pile and sticking tarps overtop of it, your wood will dry fine with any orientation.

Having it in the sun as well doesn't hurt ;)

I always stack everything N/S. It creates less air between the splits. They still seem to dry. I'm on a 3 year plan (though) in a shed.
Only at the ends of a stack do I alternate N/S and E/W, so that the stack doesn't collapse to the side.

I have wondered about adding some 2x4s on the side of each stack to avoid having to cross stack the ends - but I'm not sure what takes up more space; the 2x4 or the wasted space in the cross stacking...

Moisture escapes wood from the ends and split faces. Any stacking method that optimizes the amount of surface area exposed to air will dry faster. The problem is stacking in alternative directions makes a weak pile, far more prone to falling over. I used to just do theree standard stacks but found the center row did not dry as quickly. I switched to a double stack with a gap in between each stack at the bottom and then drop some long branches I have set aside that span both stacks. I throw "uglies in the gap. As the stack gets higher I reduce it until I get near the top. It seems to speed up drying.

I just pile mine up. May not be the fastest drying method. but it saves labor and it can't fall over

20221016_132056.jpg

I cross stack only the ends to hold up the ends of the pile. I usually use the largest logs for the purpose. I stack short pieces in between the stacks as well.

I stack mine N/S when stacking between trees, and N/S with E/W at the ends when stacking in the woodshed.

Wood that I stack to sell I’ll stack all N/S. So the stacks are more consistent.

I’ve never done a test to verify this, but I feel like stacking N/S and E/W in the same stack will be less wood than an all N/S stack.

Reactions: stoveliker
I love your bravery in posting this. An unruly pile like that is practically blasphemy around here!
I like being blasphemous. Wood I brought in tonight was ash at 6.8% moisture pine at 6.8% moisture and some silver maple at 8.something moisture. All split and stacked within last year. So it works for me.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I like being blasphemous. Wood I brought in tonight was ash at 6.8% moisture pine at 6.8% moisture and some silver maple at 8.something moisture. All split and stacked within last year. So it works for me.
Wow. Is that measured on a freshly exposed resplit surface?

Wow. Is that measured on a freshly exposed resplit surface?
Yes. There is definitely wood in that pile in the upper 20s and 30s for sure. Just threw some 56% maple chunks towards the top. I just take my mm out there when I gather to bring inside. And try to grab chunks that test less than 15%. Then when I split my smaller filler pieces indoors I recheck some of them. Not perfect system by any means but it works

I just bucked up two fallen Ash Trees.. Wife wants me to stack it between two trees. Not ideal, but I am running out of places to stack. will probably do N/S stack to maximize the amount I can stack. Also, a friend of ours is a tree guy and we let him know we are interested in anything he is going to get rid of, so I am going to need to find more room someplace.

I just bucked up two fallen Ash Trees.. Wife wants me to stack it between two trees. Not ideal, but I am running out of places to stack. will probably do N/S stack to maximize the amount I can stack. Also, a friend of ours is a tree guy and we let him know we are interested in anything he is going to get rid of, so I am going to need to find more room someplace.
If you can lay down some branches or put them up on pallets the bottom row should not rot out. BTW, leaning wood piles against live trees can damage the bark of the live tree. Most trees move with the wind and over the long run that creates rubbing and a potential spot for rot and infection to get into the trunk.

E/W on ends and N/S in between. It works well. I stack two rows and a pallet with breathing space in between. I'm now adding fence posts on each end of my pallets so no more E/W on the ends over the winter and next summer. I'm wiring the fence posts to each other nice and taught so the wood doesn't force them to slant outward with the weight. I have 6 pallets in a row. Might do 8 pallets. It will look nice and organized when complete. Wood coming next week so I got to finish the project.

Reactions: stoveliker
I've done the same before I built my shed. Bought some cheap steel wire at the orange store, kept fence posts together with that, stack it tight.

Reactions: Split
E/W on ends and N/S in between. It works well. I stack two rows and a pallet with breathing space in between. I'm now adding fence posts on each end of my pallets so no more E/W on the ends over the winter and next summer. I'm wiring the fence posts to each other nice and taught so the wood doesn't force them to slant outward with the weight. I have 6 pallets in a row. Might do 8 pallets. It will look nice and organized when complete. Wood coming next week so I got to finish the project.
I have two stacks using the 6 ft T fence posts. But at 4 post per stack and $6 a pop, that's $50 for 2 rows or wood. After dropping $7500 on the insert, I'm looking to keep costs down at the moment.