Stage 3 creosote after less than 1 week - pics included - new Jotul f400 Castine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Was your door cracked open while the fresh load got going?

30’ stack, reload on hot coals, full throttle, bypass open. You could easily have sucked flames up the flue far enough to burn off the debris.

No flue damper for your stack? You are most likely two or three times over the maximum limit for draft. Have you ever tested your draft strength?

I had a similar flue combustion event a few weeks ago. Chimney had been swept which is why it was not a huge event.

Yes, door was cracked. No flue damper and no idea what the draft strength is; just know it’s strong. I guess I figured a strong draft was a good thing. Any suggestions on modifying burning or whether or not it’s safe? Sure gave the wife & kids a scare

Yes, door was cracked. No flue damper and no idea what the draft strength is; just know it’s strong. I guess I figured a strong draft was a good thing. Any suggestions on modifying burning or whether or not it’s safe? Sure gave the wife & kids a scare

Shut the dang door ASAP without snuffing the fire. You created a blow torch that sucked like a thousand hoovers to pull the flames way up into your flue where even a thin layer of creosote can ignite.

I did the same thing a few weeks back on my much shorter chimney. Burned out all of the flue junk! Not a good idea.

Plus, open doors allow cold air in to blow right against your hot cat. You want to minimize that thermal shock.

Shut the dang door ASAP without snuffing the fire. You created a blow torch that sucked like a thousand hoovers to pull the flames way up into your flue where even a thin layer of creosote can ignite.

I did the same thing a few weeks back on my much shorter chimney. Burned out all of the flue junk! Not a good idea.

Plus, open doors allow cold air in to blow right against your hot cat. You want to minimize that thermal shock.
Got it. I just reviewed the reloading procedure and it clearly states to relatch the door and close the bypass damper immediately. Think it’s safe to burn it until I can get the pipes checked? Thank You for the advice!

Got it. I just reviewed the reloading procedure and it clearly states to relatch the door and close the bypass damper immediately. Think it’s safe to burn it until I can get the pipes checked? Thank You for the advice!

I would keep burning as normal, just make it a habit to get the door closed and latched as early as possible. If your flue combustion event was a full blown chimney fire (yes there are varying degrees) then you would know it.

Reactions: BlazeKingSaddles