Stainless snout through existing terracotta and clean out question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fluke216

Dec 11, 2020
pa
is there a recommended method for centering a stainless liner snout that comes out through an existing terracotta. The terra-cotta is 8” liner is 6. Also there’s a clean out underneath existing im assuming that’s just abandoned and you clean the new liner through the snout. Thanks for any info.

638315BE-3F13-4295-BC4D-A2FB1EC4003E.jpeg ADC35AFD-098B-4028-BBC2-90A7D8554644.jpeg

I pack ceramic wool around the snout then cement over it. And I extend the liner down to the cleanout and use a second tee there doing the same thing as above behind the door. Also make sure you pack and cement closed any open block cores in the cleanout

I pack ceramic wool around the snout then cement over it. And I extend the liner down to the cleanout and use a second tee there doing the same thing as above behind the door. Also make sure you pack and cement closed any open block cores in the cleanout
so you put another tee body and snout a few feet down behind the clean out and pack and cement in around that. Just the snout or the whole area? also does this then stay open behind the door the snout or a cap on it? Is this preference or standard practice. just seeing as ill have to buy say a 35 foot liner instead of 30 but maybe this is the better install. Thanks

Technically a cleanout is required by code in masonry chimneys but honestly no one cares. But functionally I do really prefer having a cleanout

Technically a cleanout is required by code in masonry chimneys but honestly no one cares. But functionally I do really prefer having a cleanout
Right I've been kicking this idea of doing one or the other I didn't know exactly how it was done but was thinking something along the lines of what you said you do. I installed a stainless liner in a different flue that ended on the floor above and it never had a clean out so its just cleaned through the bottom of the tee body. Ok Thanks for the info