Standing seasoned dead elm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, so far I have around ten face cord of year and a
Half well seasoned mixed to get me mostly through this winter.
I hope to finish my install and get my new stove fired up
This weekend

Heatmiser5 said:
I hope to finish my install and get my new stove fired up
This weekend
Pics are mandatory. :cheese:

Pictures will be coming, Thai is if you
Guys can stomach another 30-nch install

Heatmiser5 said:
Pictures will be coming, Thai is if you
Guys can stomach another 30-nch install

There have been a few of them recently..... I want to see another. im sure others do too. Pics... Love the Pics.

My neighbor had a tree go down last June in a low area of his field that was sandy due to the small creek action when it rains. It fell over but still with support from the roots so barely touched the ground. It had an elm on each side of it with the same bark identified by leaves and my field book. This past Sunday I went after it. Oddly enough, most of the bark fell right off as I cut it so it must have been dead a while. This thing took most of my 18 inch bar near the bottom and completely filled a full size pickup. The other reason it must have been elm ..... it stunk bad when splitting. Now it's two days later and the smell where stacked has greatly reduced. I won't need to burn this stack till next year and probably a good thing because it surprised how water squeezed out of it during a few of the hydraulic powered splits. It's not decomposed yet so believe this one is worth the afternoon effort. There were some real stringy pieces kicking the two stage pump to slow speed. I'd hate to have attempted those with a maul.

I just cut 2 big elm down a couple months ago. They were both standing dead with the bark off for a couple years (darn dutch elm disease). They are perfect for fall and spring burns when you can get away with a little less btu / burn time.
Terrible to split. I needed an 8lb maul, a 6lb sledge and a couple of wedges...... Still worth it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.