Start 'em early!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coltbean

Sep 15, 2015
Arkansas
Not handing over the saw or axe anytime soon but he's getting the hang of stacking. 5f1d31925ae71e2c7034ad8d36cd27a4.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

image.jpg image.jpg That's the way to bring them up! My 3 kids have been helping since they could walk. They are now 8&9. They load up the cart from the woodshed now and drive it up to the house and stack it on the rack, 1/3 of a cord at a time. They operate the hydraulics on for the wood splitter. It's a great upbringing. They always go to the woods with me when I'm cutting and build forts. We are actually headed there now.

I like how you guys post pictures of the kids "helping", but us old timers can tell THEY do all the work and you guys HELP at times, maybe 20% of the time at best, come on admit it lol!!!!! ;lol :p

Seriously, this is GREAT, great pictures and work ethic. So much rather see this then kids staring at their cell phones!

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Started him helping, soon out of the birth canal. Nice to have a 24 yo around to help occasionally. Its never to early to be learning.

Attachments

• ky.jpg
    ky.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 169
My son loves to help as well! This was last fall!
IMG_0030.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will be fun to see how many of our kids will carry on the tradition of wood heat when they run their own homes one day...

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
It will be fun to see how many of our kids will carry on the tradition of wood heat when they run their own homes one day...

They probably will if they start out full of awe and wonder at the woodburning process.

You can hand them a fresh split (preferably of an aromatic species) and tell them to see how good it smells. Then, with an air of awe and wonder, be amazed at how that big ol' tree grew out of nothing more than soil, rainwater, air and sun. How the sun turned that dirt into wood. You know, all that energy that comes out when burned all came from the sun shining down, year after year. And now you have a whole pile of it that's going to keep the whole family warm, all winter long! Awe and wonder...

Yep, they'll be burners!

Last edited:
Reactions: beatlefan
I remember splitting wood with dad, around age 6, and again around age 13. I'm sure there were many other times, I can't remember now, but I have those two fond memories permanently archived.

More often, I remember setting up the wood racks on the porch each fall, in my childhood home. It always started off fun and exciting, and was followed by lots of "are we done yet?"

this is an old one of my son:
Tgc_a-0Vfdq_tSwPMxuc1nD69Jtr3CRqSAWNixJIsm6DmesjnVe6zRnOOc4TVBXD5syUWDqVrVArBCorcRA=w478-h637-no.jpg

And my daughter in her element:
D-0veN0vmbqh09z7CLEuRg8miVQhWfKw9UgRdKHVldjZ0Jq_WsprhgJt5xXxCo-N_brz_wlDa5S_Aq4V9ow=w478-h637-no.jpg

It's great to teach them early, because it'll pay dividends once they're a few years older and really helping out. I've got 3 kids. My oldest two boys are 13 and 14, and they do most of the splitting. I still do all of the bucking, but pretty soon (or maybe now, but I'm just still nervous), they'll be able to do it all. And best part, is that they love chopping and stacking wood! My daughter is only 11 months, but I'll have her out stacking wood as soon as she's old enough... much to my wife's chagrin!

Reactions: Dobish