Starting 29th straight winter: VC CDW SENECA

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rwh63

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2019
MA
First season was winter of 95-96. Starting winter of 23-24. Average burning 2 cords per winter.

573A8803-7172-4EF4-A5F1-FA712928D376.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
That's a good testimony to a solid design. How often has the cat been replaced? Is this still the original refractory? It looks to be in good condition.

haven't kept track of the cat replacement, but i would estimate about every 6 seasons.

to me, the CDW was like Scion to Toyota, a budget line below their main products. the exterior panels have all held up well. original glass. the porcelain is thin, and cracks and chips, but that is only cosmetic. inside, the fireback, ash grate, baffle, damper get replaced every blue moon.

the real design issues with the CDW stoves is the integrated inner top. it is not terrible thick, and ultimately warps, esp. on the right side. that throws the damper and cat hole out of whack, and necessitates a teardown replacement. that itself is not terribly hard, and with all parts on hand, you could do it in two days if pressed. i usually get it done over several. probably done three since new. parts, incl. a new cat, might run $4-500.

no, the inner top is cast iron. seneca is model 2170. you can look up the diagram.

B07920FA-EC82-470B-AF4D-041FC19E9A53.jpeg

That explains why it has lasted so long.