Starting the hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just finishing up my 300* break in and about to call it a night.

I had my concerns about purchasing this stove because I had read some bad reviews about it. Poor draft, hard lighting, smoke blowing back into the house etc...

If my first two fires are any inclination about the performance of this stove, then my worries have been put to rest.

It’s extremely user friendly. I’ve had no issues hitting almost exactly 200 and 300 degrees, sustained. The stove holds coals for a very long time considering I’m only using 3 or 4 small splits. The stove holds temp for a very long time, though it’s a little slow getting there. Which isn’t necessarily an issue because I don’t feel like it could really get away from you unless you walk away from it for an extended period of time. I brought it up to 300 and it cruised for about 2 hours it’s now just under 250 another hour later. My t-stat in the living room has been reading 65*f for the past 3 hours and it’s 37 outside with wind and freezing rain.

Over all flue length actually only came out to 17’ vs the expected 19’. Straight pipe all the way through. No drafting issues or issues getting the stove lit. The draft is actually quite exceptional.

As mentioned I’m using oak and birch. On a fresh split, across grain I’m getting 16-17 percent moisture content.

People on the internet are crazy. This is a good heater. Especially for the beginner or even advanced burner.

I don’t expect any foreseeable problems. If something does come up I know where to go for help.

Attachments

• 3FB5DCB6-8EEB-4F16-A949-13C714CA20BD.jpeg
    3FB5DCB6-8EEB-4F16-A949-13C714CA20BD.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: Ashful and begreen
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Looks great!

Did my last break in fire this morning and started really burning early this evening.

I had a few questions about burn temps and whatnot.

For my first cruising burn I packed it full and left the air wide open until the stove hit about 500*f. Then I slowly started turning the air down. The temp kept rising to 600* a little over and stayed there for quiet a while. Then it dropped to 500’ish for about two hours. Then 400 for two more.

I thought maybe I started too high. So...

I packed it about an hour ago after flattening out the coals and decide to take it slower. I waited for the splits at the bottom to catch then slowly dialed it down to almost fully closed (about 20 minuets). The stove top temp read only 350*f. I left for about an hour to lay down came back out and once again the stove top was at +600*f. It wasn’t a blazing fire. Lots of gasses burning but the wood wasn’t engulfed in flames.

All my splits are relatively large. I’m thinking maybe I’m not packing it enough leaving too much air space? I don’t really have smaller splits to fill in the gaps. Or does this stove typically burn in this range? My stove top thermometer says 600*f + is overfiring.

I wouldn’t say my burn times are too fast. My last real burn was about 6 hours and I still had a really good coal bed. Had I raked them to the middle and increased the air, I would probably have had actual fire for another hour. I decided to load it up again anyways.

This time I’m using oak and sugar maple. The maple isn’t quiet seasoned it seems. Some of my splits were at 21%. Some of them I’ve tested were 19%. The oak is really dry 16% range.

Sounds like you may have a stove pipe thermometer and not a stove top one. Ignore the ranges and go by temperature. 600F is normal cruising temp for a full load with this stove. Anything under 750F is ok. You're getting the hang of it. The only change you might try is to turn down the stove air a bit sooner. With the Castine on a cold start I started turning down the air in increments when the stove top temp was in the 350F to 400F range.

I’m posting an image of my thermometer. I got it from Lowe’s. It was pretty cheap so if someone can recommend a better one please do.

As mentioned I loaded the stove last night around 10pm before going to bed. It got up to 600*f with air almost completely off for a time. I went back to bed.

Wife got up this morning (she’s an early riser). Around 5:30 and said it was still going but It was below 65*f in the house so the furnace kicked on. She threw a split in and it started warming up again. I got up around 9am and loaded it all up. Currently 72 in the house and outside real feel is 24*f with winds at 13mph. I need to figure out how to move some air into the master bedroom as it’s an L shaped and the heat isn’t going there.

The stove is in the kitchen with cathedral ceilings. Currently running the ceiling fan in reverse and experimenting with a few things.

Attachments

• B9D9DA45-47F2-4FD6-BBAD-6E3AA4633A18.jpeg
    B9D9DA45-47F2-4FD6-BBAD-6E3AA4633A18.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 115
That’s a thermometer designed to go on single wall pipe. No harm with using it on your stove, if you can train yourself to ignore the ranges.

Some have dual ranges, others are labeled separately for pipe or stovetop.

That’s a thermometer designed to go on single wall pipe. No harm with using it on your stove, if you can train yourself to ignore the ranges.

Some have dual ranges, others are labeled separately for pipe or stovetop.
The temp readings should be accurate correct?

Hopefully, but we have seen some that are off by >100º.

I've put my condar next to my rutland and they were ~87°F off.

The IR gun confirmed the condar within ~3°F.

Reactions: Ashful
Okay, I do not have the correct thermometer. I'm going to order the Inferno from Condar.

Okay, I do not have the correct thermometer. I'm going to order the Inferno from Condar.
Its correct as far as a Thermometer. Just have to disregard the ranges like Ashful said.

Its correct as far as a Thermometer. Just have to disregard the ranges like Ashful said.

The wife has already expressed concerns operating the stove over 500 degrees because it's in the overfire range. I tried to explain to her about it being a stove pipe thermometer but I thinks it's best just getting one that corresponds visually... If you know what I mean.

The wife has already expressed concerns operating the stove over 500 degrees because it's in the overfire range. I tried to explain to her about it being a stove pipe thermometer but I thinks it's best just getting one that corresponds visually... If you know what I mean.
You said "wife" where you meant "boss".

I understand completely.

Reactions: Ashful
This is why I like my unzoned clean dial thermometer. The stove will be fine at a higher temp as long as it is under 750º. Even the Condar is quite conservative. That said, get one of these to at least end the unnecessary anxiety.
http://www.condar.com/Stovetop_Thermometers.html

Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 11.46.12 AM.png

Comparison shots for your wife.
Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 11.53.20 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-11-12 at 11.53.31 AM.png

I just ordered the Inferno.

But I think I’m getting the hang of this sucker thanks in part to your last thread begreen.

Loaded this up for the overnight burn packed full with oak and sugar maple. Little bit of Cherry. It was smoldering for about 45 minuets because it was way too hot in the house and I let the coals burn down to almost nothing.

Cut it off at about 300. Secondaries kicked in around 350 and quickly brought the stove up to 550 and rising using my current thermometer.

Switched the ceiling fan back to normal this morning and it changed the house temperature dramatically. It’s hot everywhere. Can’t wait to see how she goes when it’s -25 with the wind chill this winter.

Edit:

Looks like my video didn’t load properly. Oh well.

Attachments

• 22085CAB-F895-4304-9094-824DE25E89C0.MOV
    15.5 MB · Views: 66
I’ve noticed when the flue starts to ping and pop is a good indicator that it’s getting up to temp from a sub 300*f stove. That may be a good time to cut the air down to about half.

So the dear wife sent me a text while I was at work this morning.

Said she forgot to turn the air down and the stove top hit 800*f...

Should still be good right?

We’ve only had the stove a week, If she breaks THIS thing I swear...

So the dear wife sent me a text while I was at work this morning.

Said she forgot to turn the air down and the stove top hit 800*f...

Should still be good right?

We’ve only had the stove a week, If she breaks THIS thing I swear...
800 is fine. It happens to all of us dont give her to much greif or you will never hear the end of it when you do it. And you will at some point.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
800 is fine. It happens to all of us dont give her to much greif or you will never hear the end of it when you do it. And you will at some point.
I didn’t even mention the worst part.

The worst part is she got scared and left the house with the dog.

She turned the air down but there’s a reason why I also purchased a fire extinguisher.

Reactions: Ashful and bholler