starting up a fireview

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks guys i didnt burn the house down lol i got it going now the stovetop is in the 375-400 range with a nice slow fire inside of the stove. its about 42 outside and 73in the living room stove is burning real nice. nice even stone heat!! although ive yet to see the cat glow red maybe i need a new one as i did buy this stove used. the cat looked perfectly fine when i inspected so maybe not? i dont know how old it is. but condition looks good. hopefully this stove can be used almost all of the winter without muich need for the propane i will keep everyone posted also i will try and get some pictures up this weekend so you can see what im working with. again thanks for all of your help

Watch the stove top temperature when you engage the cat. If the cat is working the temperature will rise much faster than it did before engaging. Also, I have had once or twice when it appeared the cat did not light off so bypassed it for another 5-10 minutes then all was fine. But if you never see red and the temperature does not go up any faster after engaging, you need a new cat.

i got it going now the stovetop is in the 375-400 range with a nice slow fire inside of the stove....nice even stone heat!! although ive yet to see the cat glow red maybe i need a new one as i did buy this stove used. the cat looked perfectly fine when i inspected so maybe not? i dont know how old it is. but condition looks good. hopefully this stove can be used almost all of the winter without muich need for the propane
Watch the stove top temperature when you engage the cat. If the cat is working the temperature will rise much faster than it did before engaging...if you never see red and the temperature does not go up any faster after engaging, you need a new cat.
If you were up around 400, the cat was probably working. Another way to tell, besides the glow behind the combustor scoop screen and quicker rise in stove top temp after you close the bypass, it to go outside and look at the stack. If the cat is working you shouldn't see much if any smoke. My stove will run up to about 450 pretty easily with the cat burning and a little flame in the box. If your cat looked good when you inspected it, no cracks or gouged-out spots, that's a good sign. However, if you can't get decent temps out of the stove, or you never see the cat glowing, or if you always have smoke out of the stack, you can try to remove possible chemical masking of the catalyst by soaking it in a scalding 50/50 solution of distilled water/distilled vinegar for half an hour. I think this procedure is detailed in the manual. Apparently I've got to do this on my SIL's FV...couldn't get the cat to light off yesterday with the stove top at 300. That combustor is only a couple years old...
Yeah, you're gonna like the even stone heat. I can keep it within a degree or two of where I want it by adjusting load size and air input. How big an area are you trying to heat, and what is your layout...pretty open?

Is it a steel cat or ceramic cat? We had some reports here last year of some short lived steel cats and Woodstock even got involved and tested some of the cats in question. Last I heard the manufacture has made improvements to their steel cat but I don't know if they are done testing or if they have gone out to Woodstock?

i finally saw the cat very faintly glow last night with all the lights off and very little flame in the box highest ive gotten the stove was about 450 with a full load of wood. i did notice a couple very small hairline cracks in the catalyst other than that its perfect. my layout is pretty open only wall is were the kitchen and bathroom is on the other side of the house. seems to be keeping up pretty well ill get to try the stove out bettter tonight with the colder temps coming. i think im going to replace the cat anywho. thanks agian

Getting that stove to 450 is a piece of cake. If we load full, or even if we load half full we get well over 600 degrees. Had it to 670 2 days ago and used 4 small splits.

The hairline cracks are usually no concern. If it starts to crumble, then it is time to change.

huh i dont know then hottest ive gotten it is about 450 and thats probably 2/3 full my glass stays clean and am using 1 yr old yellow birch and hard maple. i really think it might be the catalyst i have only seen it glow once very very faintly. also my neighbor suggested putting a damper in the flue pipe dont know if your supposed to on these stove my draft is excellent. also the only place i have for a damper is a 1 foot section between the tee and were it connects to the liner. but im still learning i already know much more than i did. but one thing for sure is its much more effiecent than my old old newmac wood furnace. since yesterday ive probably burnt 10-12 splits and its been burning continuosly. loaded stove last night at 11 woke up this morning to a very nice coal bed. thanks dennis for all your help its really appreciated.

You are very welcome.

You need a damper only if you have extreme draft and that is rare. I would not install one. We haven't had a damper for probably over 30 years and never missed it either.

You've definitely burned more than we have then. We even let ours go out last night as we just did not need the heat. It was already hot in here. Been going most of the day though and that is 6 splits total; 3 this morning and 3 late afternoon.

well its pretty warm in here lol. couldnt wait to turn the propane off. my house is pretty drafty so thats probably why . so ill skip the damper i have good draft but its not overfiring things. i really suspect the cat so im going to go ahead and order one and see what happens.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.