Steaming pellets!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LRRifleman

Jan 25, 2011
southern New Jersey
Hello! I really feel like I am beating a dead horse on this, but I am hoping to keep others informed about some VERY suspect pellets, and ensure I am not encoutering a problem with my pellet stove!

I am in the midst of trying to "finish off" the "Nation's Choice" pellets that I have on hand. These bags of pellets do not appear to be "bloated" by moisture that collected in the bags, but they do seem a bit heavier than usual. In the past week, I have had to clean out the "fire pot" almost every day to ash and "mud-like clay" build-up. Generally, after about 18 hours, I get about an inch and a half of chunky residual build-up from a blend of ashes and un-burned pellets. Yesterday, it got to the point, that I actually saw the pellets in the "fire pot" steaming, releasing the excess moisture.

I realize moisture and steel are not a good combination ... I am hoping the steam is being carried with the smoke out the flue and chimney.

Can anyone interpret what I am sharing in another way? Is there any way what I am experiencing be as a result of my stove?

Thanks, one and all, for your input!

If you see steam from the pellets in the burn pot, you should do a moisture test on the pellets.

Take 1 cup of pellets and place them in a microwave-safe cup or bowl. Place a microwave safe flat dish over them, and microwave on High for 1 minute. When you lift the dish up, if there is a lot of moisture on the underside, those pellets are basically junk.....normally you should see just a tiny amount of moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.