Steps to replace the door gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, picked up the new gasket for my Lopi Answer...from what I can tell, here are the steps?

1.) Remove old gasket
2.) Remove old gaskets cement by scraping/dremel tool etc.
3.) Use small amount of cement in the gasket groove. (Dealer gave me rutland gasket cement) and place gasket in the groove.

Here is the part I can't remember, do I then close the door and reopen quickly allowing the gasket to "sit", and then how long do I wait until I can close it for use? (Instructions show 1 hour on the box, but I thought the dealer said 24 hours to cure?)

I'd give the new gasket at least an hour before closing the door otherwise some cement may ooze out, stick to the door frame and pull the gasket off when you open the door. Also when you lay the gasket in the groove don't bunch it up or stretch the gasket, lay it in there as is.

Good advice Todd. We usually wait a few hours before closing the door.

daveswoodhauler said:
Ok, picked up the new gasket for my Lopi Answer...from what I can tell, here are the steps?

1.) Remove old gasket
3.) Use small amount of cement in the gasket groove. (Dealer gave me rutland gasket cement) and place gasket in the groove.

Here is the part I can't remember, do I then close the door and reopen quickly allowing the gasket to "sit", and then how long do I wait until I can close it for use? (Instructions show 1 hour on the box, but I thought the dealer said 24 hours to cure?)

4.) Fight with cats to stop playing with the gasket strings that you just cut for the doors.
5.) Bang head on mantel as you stand up to throw away old gasket rope.
6.) Clean the gasket cement off of my fingers... and leg... and face (how did it get there?)

Thanks folks and for the laugh browning bar....I'm going to end up just like in your post.
Funny thing is, a few weeks ago I was working on our Popup camper with some black roof cement (don't ask) and a big glob dropped down onto the ground.
Well, I had to go underneath the camper to check a few things out....came back in the house and my wife asked " what the hell is that black stuff on the back of your head"...."huh"?..."I guess that must be roofing cement" I add...that was fun trying to get off my skullbucket lol

daveswoodhauler said:

1.) Remove old gasket

BrowningBAR said:
4.) Fight with cats to stop playing with the gasket strings that you just cut for the doors.
5.) Bang head on mantel as you stand up to throw away old gasket rope.
6.) Clean the gasket cement off of my fingers... and leg... and face (how did it get there?)

Steps to replace the door gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.