Stihl 010 repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe in MI

Apr 24, 2010
NW Michigan
Hey guys!

About 20 years ago, when I was 14 (was that really 20 years ago?) I was tinkering with small engines and chainsaws quite a bit. Dad and I rebuilt a couple old "comet" and "clinton" saws that were given to me - those were old school!

One of my dad's buddies at work sent home a stihl 010. He said he put a carb kit in it, but it still wouldn't run and that he'd pay me if I fixed it. Around that time I got involved in other things and hobbies, dad and his buddy both got transferred to other locations, fast forward 20 years, and the saw is now hanging in my pole barn. I got it down last night and started looking at it again. The fuel line is gummy and should be replaced. It's got good spark. It seems to have almost no compression. I can seal the hole with my thumb and turn the flywheel by hand, and it doesn't even come close to pushing my finger off the hole. Should it?

I gave it just a tiny shot of ether, and it did fire. From what I can see of the piston through the exhaust port, it looks ok. Rings maybe? How often does a saw need rings and not a whole new piston/cylinder? I see a new piston at Bailey's is $100. That is not going to happen.

I'm horribly inexperienced at saw repair. Does anyone have a good method for troubleshooting this?

Thanks

Joe

PS - If I get it fixed I'll take it to him. I probably won't even charge him. ;-)

If the piston looks good the rings could be ok. I would replace all the fuel lines filter and clean that baby up. Then see if she fires. An 010 is a small saw would not get caught up in the rings just yet.

I'd get a true compression read on it if you can. This is a good excuse to buy a new tool!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.