Stihl 036 Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backwoodz

Apr 27, 2009
southern WI
New to the forum! I have an 036 pro that I bought from a neighbor last spring. Got at a good price. This past winter she quit on me and I took it to the local shop. They said it was scored piston, needed a rebuild and would cost approx $450. I chose to buy the 310 as a replacement. Now am thinking that I should still get the 036 back running. Can't replace the power for the size.
What's your opinion?

backwoodz said:
New to the forum! I have an 036 pro that I bought from a neighbor last spring. Got at a good price. This past winter she quit on me and I took it to the local shop. They said it was scored piston, needed a rebuild and would cost approx $450. I chose to buy the 310 as a replacement. Now am thinking that I should still get the 036 back running. Can't replace the power for the size.
What's your opinion?
If you can do the work yourself in jug and piston about 100 bucks

I'm trying to fix a 360 for a friend. I cleaned the cylinder and put in new piston and rings, base gasket, and a carb. kit. She's still lean.
It passed a pressure test on the case so it's either vacuum through the crank seals, something still wrong in the carb., or leaking base gasket ?
My point is, you'll need to find out what caused the meltdown or you'll just smoke another piston. It's not hard or complicated work but can be frustrating.
I can send you the shop manual if you're gonna do it.

backwoodz said:
What's your opinion?

$450 seems to be a bit high for the rebuild IMO. I have a 12 year old 036 that runs great. Don't think I'd fork out another $450 to fix it. Prob. just spend $600 for a 361.

leftyscott said:
backwoodz said:
What's your opinion?
$450 seems to be a bit high for the rebuild IMO. I have a 12 year old 036 that runs great. Don't think I'd fork out another $450 to fix it. Prob. just spend $600 for a 361.
That's how I ended up working on this 360. I think his dealer offered him a 361 for $500 plus the 360 in trade or $375 to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.