Stihl MS 290 or Husky 455 e series Rancher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
chris-mcpherson said:
Okay...I'll compromise and go with an 18" bar.

You have a 20inch 18 now would be a waste..
No...I haven't gotten it yet. The 20" I already have is my homeowner quality Poulan "pro". It's been just fine for basic yard work but not keeping my family warm all winter.
I plan on going in Monday to get my new toy...the 290.
Are you now recommending against an 18" or less bar?

I think Jay thought that you'd already bought the saw with a 20" bar, so not to bother going & buying an 18 since having 2 bar&chain; combos around the same size is kinda redundant.
Just a thought, but if your Poulan is runnning okay you could get around a 14" bar for that & use it as a limbing & back-up saw.

midwestcoast said:
I think Jay thought that you'd already bought the saw with a 20" bar, so not to bother going & buying an 18 since having 2 bar&chain; combos around the same size is kinda redundant.
Just a thought, but if your Poulan is runnning okay you could get around a 14" bar for that & use it as a limbing & back-up saw.

yes I did think he bought it.....pull the trigger and get some tripper time already winter close. 18inch one bar probally the best route for a 290 like you said before....Thought you where ready to learn how to file the chain....lol

I'm new to the site but have been reading threads for a few weeks to learn from your experience. I was considering these two saws as my choice, (and a few others). I picked up a very well cared-for, used 16" Stihl 029 with hard case from Craig's List for $250. Used it a couple times and I'm very happy with it. Thanks for sharing.

Sean

Congrats on the saw & welcome!

odie-wan said:
I'm new to the site but have been reading threads for a few weeks to learn from your experience. I was considering these two saws as my choice, (and a few others). I picked up a very well cared-for, used 16" Stihl 029 with hard case from Craig's List for $250. Used it a couple times and I'm very happy with it. Thanks for sharing.

Sean

Welcome Sean.... you got a nice saw at a good price. If you ever want to get a little more power out of it, we can walk you through opening the muffler.

Thanks for the offer. I mentioned some of the threads about muffler mods to a buddy who also runs an 029 last week. He was very interested in the idea. I might do that in the future too but I want to get some time on the saw as it is. I did pick up a different chain (RSC) and will try my hand at sharpening the safety chain that came with it. I'm just enjoying it as is right now.

As a bonus, the log fairy came again the other day. She drops off ~25ft trees by my fire pit from time to time. Coincidentally, it happens mostly when my neighbor works on clearing space for a house addition. More sawdust in my future!

Status
Not open for further replies.