Still Burning, Anyone Else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Whether its because I'm out of wood or just cause the weathers broken but one way or the other I'm usually done by now but not this year, still burning.

I have bags of kindling I cut from tops and branches that's making for great, hot short fires. So there's that too.

Reactions: dafattkidd
Burned Thursday and Friday......shut it down this afternoon.....24 last night.....got up to 60 today and 72 tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

still burning in NJ. My wife loves to burn wood and have doors open lol

I'm still burning a load at night. We have a long shoulder season here that usually has me burning until some time in May.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Highbeam
Burning today and tonight but might be the last one, warm weathers moving in tomorrow. I keep a little wood by the stove in case we have one of those chilly, drizzly days in the 40s in April.

Reactions: cookin2night
Still burning here also. Opening day for my sons little league and 40s this morn, i wanna be warm when i get home!
Its 75 inside right now, im warm...

We have 3 months of winter & 9 months of "shoulder" season here.
(~50 miles inland, but coastal weather pattern)
It is not uncommon for us to start a morning small & hot fire to get rid of chill in the morning, even in summer. Sometimes, on cool days in summer, same in the evening. Our hot weather (80F & above) seldom lasts more than a week or two & can be in any month other than winter, then it will cool back down, typically. We do use our oil heater a bit, but rarely use more than 50 gals/year -- most during the "shoulder" weather periods.

I have been running between 1-2 loads a day up to this morning. Suppose to hit 70 tomorrow so fires are probably going to be hit or miss now for the month of April.

Still burning here at night...temps are in the high30's to low 40's. Wifey likes it warmer as she's very pregnant (19 days left) but not scorching hot. We're doing small fires of softwoods to keep the chill out of the house.

If the sun's out now I don't have to burn. No sun - and it feels like winter again and a fire takes the edge off.

Sunny and warm day predicted here too. Once the ground warms up my walk out, semi-basment living room won't cool off so much in the evening and that will be it for me. Shouldn't be long.

We're in true shoulder season now. We will be burning until June most days. It's almost warm enough to drop to every other day fires but not quite. So the highbeam house is experiencing temperature swings.

I have just been burning here and there to take the chill out of the house. It's 60 one day then two days later it's in the twenties. I'll keep burning as long as it is cool, I like to stay warm especially after those cool rainy days at work nothing better than a hot stove at night.

Just morning fires here most days now. If the early morning temp is over 48F with rising temps I just let the heat pump handle it, no temp swings.

For comparison, it was 76º last year on April 8th. The last two years at this same date we had 2" forming cucumbers in the greenhouse. This year they are just sprouting from seed.

IMAG1170web.jpg

Last edited:
I gotta say... i am sad to see the burning season come to an end.. This is my first season with this stove. It was great. We havent burned regularly in a while but had a fire friday when i got home from work. The season went by fast. Recently it only having fires 2 to 3 fires per week.. but even i am thinking that's going to be a thing of the past

Got to about 70 today. Ran the mower to clean the lawn up and did some other odds and ends. Inside for a beer and to watch the golf and the stove room still hadn't budged from 63. So fire time, been burning all afternoon.

Still burning.

I kinda like this time of year. Generally one or two fires a day -- morning and evening fire -- is all I have to do. I'm hauling less wood and hauling out ashes less often. The trade off being that I use more kindling. I can live with that trade off though.

Still burning.

I kinda like this time of year. Generally one or two fires a day -- morning and evening fire -- is all I have to do. I'm hauling less wood and hauling out ashes less often. The trade off being that I use more kindling. I can live with that trade off though.
Guess you'll be getting cool nights for some time yet (?).

2-3 fires a week now...it will be hit and miss here on out.Hit 76 today but thats not lasting...

We are burning every night here and probably will for another month or so. However, I am not filling the king like I was twice a day since beginning of December. I need to switch out the good wood on the garage racks with the ugly pine. Split about 1.5 cord of fir today (very big splits) that I won't burn until the winter of 2019/2020.

Just about wrapped up, still have enough wood inside for a quick "flash fire" incase its a rainy dreary day

Reactions: Slow burn
Looks like a couple fires in the evenings this week to take the rainy day chills off. Probably could get by without them but why?

Looks like a couple fires in the evenings this week to take the rainy day chills off. Probably could get by without them but why?
Will keep going if I need it or until I can't get it to draft. Was surprised yesterday with how well it drew since the interior temp was 63 and outside was closer to 70. Chimneys is located ENE and shaded in the afternoon so maybe that helped.

Just hauled another 1/4 cord up to the house. Way too early to stop burning but the stove doesn't stay hot like it had been. I can let it cool between burns.