Still burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I got up this morning and had I not turned it off it would have been running, it was 66 it would have come on at 68.

Still running mine at night in the Twin Tiers/Western NY. Yesterday it never got out of the low to mid 50s so I ended up running it a good chunk of the day. I was going to shut it down this weekend but after looking at next week's forecast, probably not yet. Maybe next weekend (?). Glad I have plenty of pellets left over from the winter, and last deep cleaned my stove/vent the first part of May. If I go much longer I'll deep clean again including taking out the exhaust fan and decide then whether to shut it down or keep it going. Much cheaper to heat with the pellet stove than with the electric alternative.

The last 2 mornings house was down to 64 degrees ran stove for an hour each morning.Never burned in June before
I've burned to the very end of June on occasion. Looking back at my records, in 2021 I burned on July 7 and in 2019 Jun 14, I didn't keep records then, but in 2015 I burned for a couple days at the beginning of July. I remember it well because I had a 3-day bike trip that was in cold, rainy weather and my house was in the upper 50's when I got home (my bird was not impressed). Immediatly fired up the stove to dry out and warm up. and it ran for a couple of days before the outside temps rose.

Looks like I'll be putting another bag in the P43 today.

has anyone checked how many pellet stove owners to woodstove owner on forum?,i put up same post 2 or 3 days and 4 people checked in same question on pellet stove and boom

Taking the chill off tonight. Going down into the forties tonight.
Ron

I just got back yesterday from Minnesota. I still got this week off for summer vacation. Unfortunately it looks like summer also took a vacation. All the way back it was low 50s and I was running my heater. Got back and it’s dark and 40s to 50s here too, so I’ve been burning again.

Cleaned up my stove and put it away and turned it back on yesterday! Unseasonably chilly in Northern California! Quad Classic Bay insert
I really like those Aladdin & HHT Quadrafire Classic Bays! I am refurbishing 2 at the moment! Here are some pics in the link below of one of the stoves where I revitalized the air wash with a good cleaning and painting! The fire door glass stays a lot cleaner now! Have you done that?

Below is a pic of before and after the fixing. :)
32C10949-9BDC-4F75-9520-93586F417775.jpeg AEBF025C-A58F-4EAF-B0AB-0057043F3EA9.jpeg 9C43D78D-3615-4B43-8B51-F50F682B0FF4.jpeg

Reactions: bogieb
The P43 ran the last time for this season on Sunday morning. I got it all cleaned up as well as the exhaust and OAK blocked up. Yesterdeay I was wishing I hadn't done so as there was no solar gain to be found (until late evening). I "suffered" thru the house being at 67* until about 2pm or so. If I'd really wanted to, I could have turned on the mini split, but I just had on long sleeves, a sweat shirt and put socks on my feet.

You all must be pretty far north of us and higher elevation. It was in the 80's the past couple days here with lows in the upper 60s. I just asked my wife when I could put the air conditioner in the window.

I still have about half a ton left, but I'll save it for next winter.

Reactions: bogieb
You all must be pretty far north of us and higher elevation. It was in the 80's the past couple days here with lows in the upper 60s. I just asked my wife when I could put the air conditioner in the window.

I still have about half a ton left, but I'll save it for next winter.
We (NH) keep getting stuck in stationary low pressure systems that are bringing constant (or near constant) overcast, rain and cooler air down. Depending on where the lows have been parked, we get cooler air from Canada or the ocean, not from the warmer west and south.

And when I say overcast, I don't mean just the sky is cloud covered, but the clouds are dark. As an example, my solar panels are on track to produce about 70% or the amount of what they produced in May, and maybe less than April, because the skies are so dark. This is amazing since the days are longer and the sun angle higher than either of those months.

Last edited:
Hello
X2 BogieB !!
One more day of partly cloudy 🌤 then Rain till next Friday !!!
See Manchester NH Channel 9 forcast :-(

D1270C1A-3B54-43DB-8014-B8E3502507DA.png 65E9640E-BE45-4862-B0B8-EC282B264B47.png

Hello
X2 BogieB !!
One more day of partly cloudy 🌤 then Rain till next Friday !!!
See Manchester NH Channel 9 forcast :-(

View attachment 313460 View attachment 313461

Scattered TS is fine. Waters the gardens (hopefully) and in between should see some sun. Humidity will go up as well as evening temps, so the mini split will be turned on at some point. I don't mind so much about the daytime tiemps/humidity, but this is probably the last morning of letting Mother Nature cool off the house for a while :( .

Yesterday actually saw a bit of sun starting early afternoon.

Reactions: Don2222