still burning....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're still burning but for awhile now only from sundown till about 10:00am.

So are you saying your stove goes to 700 and does not want to go any higher when the air is closed. I am asking if you have made your stove more controllable but less able to go to higher temps. If this is the case then I can see the benefit for people down south but if we have 6 weeks of -45f I want our stove to reach higher temps.
One other question were you able to see what the difference was when you just blocked the EBT or did you block it at the same time you limited the main air. I am wondering if that is just to pass epa and I could still get hot burns with it blocked.

Still burning occasionally herre in Schoharie valley, morning temps of 28-32 but goes up to 60+ during the day. Might make 70 today. Still have about 3cords left and have burned about 3-4 cords. Heat keeps the cats, dog and wife happy.

snowtime said:
So are you saying your stove goes to 700 and does not want to go any higher when the air is closed. I am asking if you have made your stove more controllable but less able to go to higher temps. If this is the case then I can see the benefit for people down south but if we have 6 weeks of -45f I want our stove to reach higher temps.
One other question were you able to see what the difference was when you just blocked the EBT or did you block it at the same time you limited the main air. I am wondering if that is just to pass epa and I could still get hot burns with it blocked.

Yes, it's more controllable. Remember, I'm burning softwood right now. It's reaching 650 or 700 because that's where I want it to be. If I wanted it to burn hotter, I could just open the air up to approximately where the original stop was (primary air about 1/4" open.) The changes have nothing to do with max stove temperature. That just requires more air and would be helped by harder wood. Yes, I tried with the EBT left open and with the air control more restricted. It was an improvement, but the fire still burned too intensely at the bottom front of the stove for my liking, so it remains closed off. Next season, I'll experiment a bit more. But for now I like it this way. The stove is easier to regulate in high burns, even for my wife, yet under slow burns it still gets enough air to do a complete, long burn. I'm guessing with softwood that we are now seeing 1-2 hrs longer burns and there are always hot coals ready for the morning fire, about 9-10 hrs after the last feeding. For softwood, including pine, that's pretty good.

All done burning! Still cool at night but don't mind burning a little oil. Plenty of wood left, burned my usual 4+ cords. Almost done splitting next years wood. The year after logs will be coming soon.

FireWalker said:
All done burning! Still cool at night but don't mind burning a little oil. Plenty of wood left, burned my usual 4+ cords. Almost done splitting next years wood. The year after logs will be coming soon.

I'm pretty much done burning here too. Sure, it's cool in the morning when i wake up, but the house warms up by noon. We're
only around for an hour or so in the morning before leaving. I plan to do some more wood harvesting until the mosquitoes arrive,
but I'm officially two years ahead with ten cords cut, split and stacked. It feels good to hit that milestone for the first time.

Got a good storm yesterday. 36" of fresh snow. Lost internet service yesterday... the real drag is, we had some sweet rooms at vail last night with plans to ski all day and they closed I70 from denver to vail. Digging out now, hoping to break out and get some skiing in if they open some passes.

A terrible photo:

Attachments

• IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 297
MSG- Hope you get at least two days of deep powder skiing in before you get another 36" of the white stuff. Most of the ski areas here are closed already.
warren

Luckly, Arapahoe basin wont close for about 6 more weeks, the other ones like vail close this weekend. Looks like they lost a ton of cash with this storm. A Basin is my resort of choice anyway. Its definatly a high altitude resort, the top is over 12,000 feet...

We haven't burned in well over a week but it's been sunny and our home heats up nicely that way. Today is cloudy and sort of clammy and I will probably start a fire today, later this afternoon.

Had to burn the last 3 days and was fixin' to not burn anymore yesterday when I step outside to the truck and snow flakes are blowing around. Lookin' at the higher elevations clouds were wrapping the mountains so I restoked the stive and cut up some more wood. Good thing, too as power went out to the entire subdivision at 8:00pm but the stove was humming along and me and kitty were warm and toasty.....................

79 today
89 tomorrow
temps won't go below 50 all week.

I believe spring is here and the burning season is done.

78 and sunny today. The first warm dry day of spring. By Monday it is 100% clouds, rain and 50. Morning chill chasers from here on out.

One morning we will have a fire, the next day the air conditioners will go on. Happens that way every year. >:-(

I thought I was done. Forecast foe tomorrow is low 40's, looks like the stove may get fired up again.

I have a nice sexy fire burning right now. Sure it was 75 yesterday and close to 60 today but its only 67 in the house right now and I still have enough wood to build a spruce goose. Should be lower 80's by this weekend. I'll throttle back a bit then.

My fire went out late yesterday afternoon and for the first night since early November I didn't start it up for overnight. This morning I fired it up again, though. I've got some wood on the porch that I might as well burn up rather than take back to the wood house, and since it's going to be rainy for most of this week a fire probably won't be a bad thing to keep going. Still, it's getting close to the end.

This was my first winter of burning wood since I was teenager, and it went really well. Must have saved well over $1000, maybe closer to 2000, and the house was warmer. No one is getting that stove away from me! :) Really enjoyable experience for the most part. I'm going to miss not being able to cook on the stove over the summer, too.

Rainy, cold and crappy here. = fire. Into the pine now, and can still catch a relight after 20+hrs with the FV.

Looks like we're about all done over here; 42* nights and 69* days..............

80-85 degrees Fri thru Mon. Fifty and drizzle right now, 64 inside. I see a small fire in the very near future.

Thought I was done, but there are a bunch of days ahead in the forecast with lows in the 30's predicted. Might not have to move
the wood out of the garage back to the wood stacks after all.

rickw said:
Rainy, cold and crappy here. = fire. Into the pine now, and can still catch a relight after 20+hrs with the FV.

Nobody will ever beleive us. :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.