Storm Scrounge, Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OpenWater

Hearth Supporter
Aug 30, 2009
Catskills
What do I have here? This came down nearby in a recent storm. First official scounge! Got some ash, as well as this stuff and was wondering what I had. The two splits on the left go together, as do the two on the right. The wood on the left came from a very old tree, huge trunk, with bark that was quite different (deep and gnalred-looking).

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 100_3568 (Small).jpg
    100_3568 (Small).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 508
I am guessing as I am no wood expert but I think the right side is a maple variety and the left a locust. Someone more knowledgeable will chime in soon so we'll see if I am a good guesser.

Rob

The one on the left is being washed out on my monitor. Take another picture. Get a picture of the end grain too.

Yes - Wood to the left is light. Splits like BUTTA! :)
Very thin bark, much like the bark on a young branch.

Thanks!

The left wood looks a bit like alder.

Thanks for the input - I'll post a better picture that is not so washed out.

CB

I think the wood on the left is aspen - looks like it was a straight tree, and aspen is often very straight. The right one is hard to tell from the picture. Shots of the end of a split would be helpful, and additional pictures of the bark would also be nice. I'll guess it is an old Red Maple on the right, but that is just a guess.

Wood Duck said:
I think the wood on the left is aspen - looks like it was a straight tree, and aspen is often very straight. The right one is hard to tell from the picture. Shots of the end of a split would be helpful, and additional pictures of the bark would also be nice. I'll guess it is an old Red Maple on the right, but that is just a guess.
I was thinking Aspen but I thought the stippling was different. Which lead me to Calatalpa.

Thinking cherry on the right, but bark makes me wonder.....Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.