stove chow, fireside ultra, nature's own

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleAnthony

Jan 19, 2009
Southern Maine
Been reading back through the recent posts that these three brands are actually the same from Premier Pellet .

I have the fireside ultra & nature's own, the back of bag is exactly the same, manufactured from Premier Pellet .

I have two questions.

1. Can someone verify the back of a stove chow bag (thanks) and see the manufacturer is Premier Pellet ?

2. I have not burned stove chow. Have read some bad reviews on stove chow, yet have found fireside ultra
& nature's own have burned the same (very good) for me. . What gives ?

Thanks !

UncleAnthony said:
Been reading back through the recent posts that these three brands are actually the same from Premier Pellet .

I have the fireside ultra & nature's own, the back of bag is exactly the same, manufactured from Premier Pellet .

I have two questions.

1. Can someone verify the back of a stove chow bag (thanks) and see the manufacturer is Premier Pellet ?

Yes see imacmans 1st post here https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58746/

UncleAnthony said:
2. I have not burned stove chow. Have read some bad reviews on stove chow, yet have found fireside ultra
& nature's own have burned the same (very good) for me. . What gives ?

Thanks !

That could be batch variance, Stove variance or user pickyness!

Attachments

• Stove Chow Bag-Co name.jpg
    Stove Chow Bag-Co name.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 651
I've burned both F.U. and Stove Chow, both are great pellets and produce a lot of heat with minimal ash. I like Fireside Ultra's simply because they can be abbreviated as "F.U.", as that's exactly what I've been saying to the propane industry lately...

ChrisWNY said:
I've burned both F.U. and Stove Chow, both are great pellets and produce a lot of heat with minimal ash. I like Fireside Ultra's simply because they can be abbreviated as "F.U.", as that's exactly what I've been saying to the propane industry lately...

got that right. and I thaught i had to much time on my hands, I never would have seen that

i bought stove chow a while back at home depot, dark color, didn't like them that much.
Bought more stove chow yesterday/today from lowes, lighter color, and so far i like them, a little bit of ash but very acceptable, and for the price (plus the discount) it is very good for a shoulder pellet.

thanks for the info.

j-takeman,
The bag of stove chow shows premier pellet out of pennsylvania.

The nature's own and fireside ultra shows premier pellet out of montreal,canada.

I looked and could not find websites for either. Are they the same company ?
If so, wouldn't they show the manufacturing sites as pa and ca ?

Premier pellet is actually Energex. I think they use the premier pellet for the bigbox brands. Dealers that sell Energex get ticked if the box stores get the same pellets as them and can sell for less. So to keep the piece we see many major brands rebag pellets with a different name. See link.

http://www.energex.com/common/contact_energex.php

Attachments

• 3-2-2011 5-55-25 PM.jpg
    3-2-2011 5-55-25 PM.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 554
UncleAnthony said:
.....I have not burned stove chow. Have read some bad reviews on stove chow......

If the reviews you read about Stove Chow were more than about 1 year old, those were the ones that were crappy. They have obviously improved the product this year, as most everyone that has burned them have liked them....me included.

Down to my last 10 bags of SC here. HD is is done for the season and I will not pay what the local feed store want for them (around 250 ton) when I can still get Ligs for 199.
Burned them both; the SC seem to burn a little hotter then the Ligs. That may just be me. But since it is March and I know the Ligs work for milder weather.

J,
Thanks for the links, I will look at them.

Imacman (and others),
Yep, the posts I read were probably over one year old, I just kept walkiing by the stove chow
last year (and this year) based on those posts. Now I will grab them.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.