Stove for 700sqf home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Burn time issues?
Eh, cook stoves just don't make good heaters, even if they are huge. Big ones like the Heco 520 advertise long burn times, but I doubt it.

Stoves of the non cook stove variety can be cooked on also. The PE Alderlea series (T4,T5,T6) even has swing away trivets to help control the heat. Flat topped stoves give you more surface area, but I've cooked just fine on step top stoves. I'm not sure I'd try to cook on a stone stove for fear of staining it, but I'm sure it's possible.

Stoves of the non cook stove variety can be cooked on also. The PE Alderlea series (T4,T5,T6) even has swing away trivets to help control the heat. Flat topped stoves give you more surface area, but I've cooked just fine on step top stoves. I'm not sure I'd try to cook on a stone stove for fear of staining it, but I'm sure it's possible.

It's true, you could cook on a regular wood stove, but it would be like trying to heat a house with a cook stove ;lol We had a long power outage and I did make coffee on our wood stove once. I think I've also heated up cans of spaghetti o's while my wife was at work.

Reactions: bholler
It's true, you could cook on a regular wood stove, but it would be like trying to heat a house with a cook stove ;lol We had a long power outage and I did make coffee on our wood stove once. I think I've also heated up cans of spaghetti o's while my wife was at work.

I used to do this, too. But then I bought a cheap 8kW generator, which I can back-feed to the whole house, and fire up my microwave or electric range top. Heck, even cooking on the gas or charcoal grills outside is more expedient and convenient than cooking on my Blaze Kings.

On winter mornings I put a kettle on the stove to heat up the water for tea and coffee. We've cooked on it just for fun, but I put in a propane cooktop as soon as we moved into the place. Extended outages are not rare here and that has us covered. What the Alderlea cook top is great for is slow cooking in a crock pot. The swing-out trivets afford a great range of temperature for cooking. My wife also swings open the trivets and uses them for rising dough.

Reactions: Rhodie and SpaceBus
Every thanksgiving we have dishes crowding the top, staying warm or slow cooking until we bring everything to the table.

I used to do this, too. But then I bought a cheap 8kW generator, which I can back-feed to the whole house, and fire up my microwave or electric range top. Heck, even cooking on the gas or charcoal grills outside is more expedient and convenient than cooking on my Blaze Kings.

Or bust out the gasoline powered Coleman cook stove. It’s good practice to use your alternative cooking tools.

The rv has a propane cooktop and oven too.

Really, the last thing I would cook on would be the wood stove.

Or bust out the gasoline powered Coleman cook stove. It’s good practice to use your alternative cooking tools.

The rv has a propane cooktop and oven too.

Really, the last thing I would cook on would be the wood stove.

I also have a propane grill, but generally if the power is out I'm not going to want to be outside to use it. The RV is a great idea though! Mine is in NC right now, hopefully coming up here next year.

I also have a propane grill, but generally if the power is out I'm not going to want to be outside to use it. The RV is a great idea though! Mine is in NC right now, hopefully coming up here next year.

If you’re a disaster preparedness type guy, a self contained rv is actually a pretty good way to go. Mines fully loaded, kept warm and ready in a separate building.

Reactions: coutufr
If you’re a disaster preparedness type guy, a self contained rv is actually a pretty good way to go. Mines fully loaded, kept warm and ready in a separate building.
I lived in mine for two years with my wife and three dogs. It's certainly not ready right now, most of the furniture has been removed and there's no bathroom. Once we build a barn I'll be able to finish working on it. Like your RV ours has all propane.

I lived in mine for two years with my wife and three dogs. It's certainly not ready right now, most of the furniture has been removed and there's no bathroom. Once we build a barn I'll be able to finish working on it. Like your RV ours has all propane.
You can be sure most of us would not be cooking on the wood stove in the summer. Disaster preparedness means different things in different areas. Many RVs do not have good insulation and winterized water systems. That could be a challenge in Maine winters, but better than nothing. Highbeam lives in the shadow of a large volcano and pyroclastic flow zone. Having a packed and ready getaway vehicle is a good plan, though there would probably be plenty of warning if Rainier decided to wake up. I'm not a prepper, but both of us live in earthquake country. It could be weeks before we see recovery efforts in our rural communities in the event of a big one, so a reasonable self-sufficiency plan is a good thing.

They both have similar low end heating, but the 30 has a larger fuel tank.

Reactions: Highbeam and lsucet
You can be sure most of us would not be cooking on the wood stove in the summer. Disaster preparedness means different things in different areas. Many RVs do not have good insulation and winterized water systems. That could be a challenge in Maine winters, but better than nothing. Highbeam lives in the shadow of a large volcano and pyroclastic flow zone. Having a packed and ready getaway vehicle is a good plan, though there would probably be plenty of warning if Rainier decided to wake up. I'm not a prepper, but both of us live in earthquake country. It could be weeks before we see recovery efforts in our rural communities in the event of a big one, so a reasonable self-sufficiency plan is a good thing.

The RV was really hard even in NC winters. We had a few lows in the teens and we struggled to keep it above 60 with the on board propane furnace and electric space heaters. Summer 2018 was brutal after an AC unit died. Even with one OEM rooftop unit working and an additional portable unit in the bedroom (where the other one died) it was barely tolerable.

I'm not much of a "prepper" but I do like being self sufficient. Especially up here with the very real risk of being snowed or iced in.

Many mid range RVs, and certainly mine, are called 4 season trailers with insulated and heated underbellies and insulation better than many homes. People go skiing and hunting in them so the market responded by making them winter capable. If you can keep the furnace running then your systems are all up. Certainly in above zero climates anyway. The new ones all seem to carry over 50 gallons of water too.

Our minimum standard is 14 days with no outside help. Think power outage as a more likely event. Then if my house burns down I have the second home. Finally, being able to hitch up and leave is a decent option but we’re more “shelter in place” type people.

Many mid range RVs, and certainly mine, are called 4 season trailers with insulated and heated underbellies and insulation better than many homes. People go skiing and hunting in them so the market responded by making them winter capable. If you can keep the furnace running then your systems are all up. Certainly in above zero climates anyway. The new ones all seem to carry over 50 gallons of water too.

Our minimum standard is 14 days with no outside help. Think power outage as a more likely event. Then if my house burns down I have the second home. Finally, being able to hitch up and leave is a decent option but we’re more “shelter in place” type people.

I wish my Aurora were four seasons. The heated floor was nice, but the windows just let out sooooo much heat (and cold air in the summer). We couldn't have our headboard by the skin of the vehicle due to the cold. It was a particularly unseasonable winter for NC with occasional lows down to 5f, but still. I'm sure having a functional awning would have helped keep the bus cool over the summer, but it got destroyed in a sudden micro-burst (also unusual for central NC). Eventually I'd like to get a slide in camper for my truck bed, like Mammoth Host or similar. Then we can do more overland and national parks. The bus is 36' long and a bear in most situations, we plan on using it to escape the harsh winters when we are old.

Reactions: Highbeam
For the stove pipe inside I'd like to do black and whatever outside. What brand or kind is recommended? I'm guessing I'll have a straight shot up through the roof 12' of pipe

Last edited:
Use black double wall inside and chimney from ceiling support box up. Good brands include Olympia, ICC and DuraVent. There may be others.

Try to get 15' from stove top cap...

Reactions: Ashful
That's going to stick out a good 5 or 6 foot above the roof line for sure.

In that case, it requires one set of roof braces. Those two bars that run back to your roof.

Not sure who decided that 15’ should be the minimum.

BKVP can probably give you a name and extension of the offending party, lol

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful