Stove for 700sqf home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Glass has some flex. Most solids do. Like a big window that you can push on and flex. Thickness of glass and even type of glass are considerations when choosing for a hearth that will be more resistant to cracking.

Also, don’t set this on a little rock. Clean the flat, solid floor.

I feel like some kind of levelers or shims will be necessary for proper fit.
I would be more concerned with the feet of the stove setting on something like coasters. Flat and a little bigger to distribute the load.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I would be more concerned with the feet of the stove setting on something like coasters. Flat and a little bigger to distribute the load.
Perhaps that is the better way to go about it. My Morso rests on feet that are more like stiletto tips so I could imagine that causing issues with a glass pad.

The glass is not supporting the weight. The floor is. Like if you put a newspaper on the ground and drive your truck over it. The newspaper isn’t supporting the weight, the ground is.

glass is flat and effectively a rigid solid. That is the challenge. If the floor under the glass is not flat or if it yields under the weight of the stove then the glass could crack.
That is not quite true. Glass (or any material) has a maximum compressive stress. I believe the maximum value for glass is around 150,000 psi. Should not be an issue for this application. To check, just divide the total weight (lbs) by the total contact area (in2).

Reactions: Ashful
If you wood floors are premium, I have seen beautiful installations with the pad being a piece of glass! You can then still see the wood flooring underneath. If you wish, speak to a local glass shop about what might be needed.

Has anyone here done a custom tempered glass hearthpad?

I think it's Morso that sells them in stock sizes, but my dealer said they only come in smaller sizes.

I'd love to have one for my Castine, but it sounds like custom would be the only way to do it and the price tag likely steep, if it's possible to find someone to do it at all.

I think it's Morso that sells them in stock sizes, but my dealer said they only come in smaller sizes.

I'd love to have one for my Castine, but it sounds like custom would be the only way to do it and the price tag likely steep, if it's possible to find someone to do it at all.
We've seen a few posted in the past few years. Mostly Morso pads, but I think at least one was custom tempered glass.

Here's an older thread with a friend who did tempered glass . . . and another member who did tempered glass.

That is not quite true. Glass (or any material) has a maximum compressive stress. I believe the maximum value for glass is around 150,000 psi. Should not be an issue for this application. To check, just divide the total weight (lbs) by the total contact area (in2).

Is that a joke? This isn’t about the compressive strength of glass. Think flex, it’s way harder.

ah, a mech trying to do structural work. Academics meet reality...go! Jk, lol. I’m a licensed civil.

Last edited:
IMG_20191221_214955.jpg IMG_20191221_215005.jpg IMG_20191221_215023.jpg

Got my stove Installed and took a bit to figure out all the adapters and pipe. I made a small fire and let it go out and on the 2nd fire I got really bad smoke coming from the seams. Anything look wrong? all the arrows are pointing up. I had to open a window to get the fire going to apparently I need an OAK.

I ended up with 11 foot from stove top for the pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need 15' minimum.

Ok I'll see if I can find a 48" locally and pop it up there. I didn't think it was drafting well from the start but I also thought break in was rough.

The smoke is just the paint burning off most likely.

Every wood seam was sealed by caulk or spray foam.
Wow, OK, extending the he chimney will not help with smoke coming in. You will need an outside air kit. The stove needs air to work and it is using your chimney as a fresh air intake. My cookstove likes to smoke the house out on a cold light, but with the kitchen window open I have no problems. Once it's all up to temp I have no issues. However, my house is not as tight as yours. My utility room and my patio doors leak enough for normal operation.

Wow, OK, extending the he chimney will not help with smoke coming in. You will need an outside air kit.
You’re very likely correct, but let’s not assume. He should do the window test, before spending the time and effort to do an OAK.

You’re very likely correct, but let’s not assume. He should do the window test, before spending the time and effort to do an OAK.
The dealer failed him.

So I did the door test, it's 5 feet away from the stove. I closed everything and fired the stove up. It was not going well at all. So I opened the door an inch and the wood ignited instantly.

Reactions: Ludlow and SpaceBus
So I did the door test, it's 5 feet away from the stove. I closed everything and fired the stove up. It was not going well at all. So I opened the door an inch and the wood ignited instantly.
As in the stove door or the front door? Usually a window needs to be wide open. Doors are usually 3x7' and create a lot of air movement and opening it a little bit usually does the trick. If opening up the house helped you, then definitely get the OAK.

As in the stove door or the front door? Usually a window needs to be wide open. Doors are usually 3x7' and create a lot of air movement and opening it a little bit usually does the trick. If opening up the house helped you, then definitely get the OAK.
Actually, the window just needs to be open about an inch or so. For a 36" wide window that equals a 36 sq in opening which is a lot more air than a 4" pipe is going to deliver via an OAK.

Reactions: Ludlow and Ashful
Actually, the window just needs to be open about an inch or so. For a 36" wide window that equals a 36 sq in opening which is a lot more air than a 4" pipe is going to deliver via an OAK.

I find that opening the window wide on startup, just for a few minutes, is necessary for a smokeless start. Once draft is established I do not need to open any windows or doors. Perhaps if it were a double hung or sliding window it would be different, but my windows are mostly casement and awning.

Last edited:
My windows are double hung and there is one that's 24x38 5 foot away in the hallway. Not sure I want the window open all the time tho.

My windows are double hung and there is one that's 24x38 5 foot away in the hallway. Not sure I want the window open all the time tho.
For my setup I only need the window cracked/open to start the stove, then I close it again after three to five minutes. Your house is very tight, so I would suggest the outside air kit for your stove rather than leave a window cracked all the time. Does the stove smoke and smolder if you have all the exterior doors and windows closed?

All we are talking about is a test to determine if the stove is starving for air due to a tight house. Try starting a fire with all windows closed, then try again with the nearest door or window slightly open. Note if there is any difference in the fire.

Reactions: Ashful and SpaceBus
For my setup I only need the window cracked/open to start the stove, then I close it again after three to five minutes. Your house is very tight, so I would suggest the outside air kit for your stove rather than leave a window cracked all the time. Does the stove smoke and smolder if you have all the exterior doors and windows closed?

Yes it acts like I have the damper closed all the way.