Stove help needed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
great advice guys!
my regret is NOT joining this troop before i purchased my current stove.
i had no idea there were so many great stoves to choose from.

The Summit has the same firebox as the T6. It's a good stove. Burn time will depend on how hard it's pushed. Figure 8-12 hrs. But if the place is an icebox then it could be 6 hrs.

Is there any supplemental heat to keep the pipes from freezing?
How many square feet are they heating? Are there super high ceilings?
Propane backup, about 2000 open floor plan , ceilings are average or just above. There's a fireplace there now , the stove would go in the middle of the great room.

Sounds like a big SBI or PE stove would work out well then.

A T6 stuffed full of kiln dried oak or hickory will get a 12+ hour burn. I get 10+ hours easily out of my T5 stuffed full of ash.

great advice guys!
my regret is NOT joining this troop before i purchased my current stove.
i had no idea there were so many great stoves to choose from.
Not to mention a plethora of knowledge from the many who post here and are in the know.

A T6 stuffed full of kiln dried oak or hickory will get a 12+ hour burn. I get 10+ hours easily out of my T5 stuffed full of ash.
What type of fire show do you get? would you call the stove efficient? I'm definitely leaning in that direction,The T6 is cast and steel both if I recollect. Twelve hours on a non cat is phenomenal, if the heat is usable. THX

Too many kids to deal with the process.

I don't see how that is a logical reason. Reload, dial in and be done. Same for cats and noncats.

In fact, going with a Tstat controlled stove is what would make most sense.

Reactions: Tar12
Yeah I gotta say I agree with stoveliker here; cat or non cat it’s the same process. Start up and or load, burn, dial in air etc. some say they don’t like having to replace the catalysts and there’s more moving parts etc but again I disagree with this, baffles and tubes need replacing also periodically albeit perhaps less than a cat etc (depending on how it’s run) and there may be one more lever but again it’s nothing.

You typically get longer burn times and a more consistent heat, as mentioned again tstat control etc. Personally, if it were me, and I were a CT surgeon not needing to worry per se about the cost difference between the stoves, I wouldn’t dismiss a cat stove just yet. If I want fire and flame and show then turn it up, if I want steady heat while I go ski for 12 hours, turn it down. While you can get decent burns on the non cat stoves, it won’t be a cat stove etc. It all just depends on what he wants 👍🏻 (Thumbs up if it didn’t come through).

I don't see how that is a logical reason. Reload, dial in and be done. Same for cats and noncats.

In fact, going with a Tstat controlled stove is what would make most sense.
I suspect this isnt for a main house but a vacation / second home away kinda place, if thats the case then noncat all the way, you never know who wants to help with the fire.

Reactions: ohlongarm
I suspect this isnt for a main house but a vacation / second home away kinda place, if thats the case then noncat all the way, you never know who wants to help with the fire.

You are assuming they want to rent out the home.

Ok. No cat then. Unfortunately, I think (but am willing to be corrected) the other Tstat stoves out there are too small for this place.

With a bunch of random people potentially running the stove, I think a cat would more easily be damaged.

What type of fire show do you get? would you call the stove efficient? I'm definitely leaning in that direction,The T6 is cast and steel both if I recollect. Twelve hours on a non cat is phenomenal, if the heat is usable. THX
Usable heat I do think would be better determined with all the other factors of the layout of the house and where the stove goes etc. But I will say in my situation, an overnight burn in my T5 consists ideally of about 6 splits of ash, sometimes less if they are big "overnight splits" as I'd call them, going in the stove around 830-930pm. I'll let the fire settle in for about an hour or so before going to bed. If I go down in the morning usually around 6:30-7am there's more than enough coals for a relight, and sometimes too many so I'll let them burn down even longer. That room will typically be around 70 in the morning, and it's my least insulated part of the house in my fairly inefficient split level. This has been a good winter to judge "usable heat" in my situation because it's been quite a cold one in NY. Sometimes yes the room is colder than I'd like but again plenty of coals still left in the stove.

The flame show is also nice especially when the air adjustment is fully closed at the proper time. Very slow rolling hypnotic flames. There's some videos on youtube to give you an idea.

With a bunch of random people potentially running the stove, I think a cat would more easily be damaged.

Yes, but that was not clear at that time.

Reactions: kennyp2339 and MMH
And I agree. The simpler the better, particularly if multiple people are operating the stove. Less maintenance is also nice when time is precious as are the saved dollars over the life of the stove.

Reactions: EbS-P
And I agree. The simpler the better, particularly if multiple people are operating the stove. Less maintenance is also nice when time is precious as are the saved dollars over the life of the stove.
I'm narrowing this down quickly, I feel the PE T6 Alderlea will probably do it, I like the idea of the stainless steel baffles as well as the cast iron over steel.

Not worrying about a log hitting the baffle and cracking it is a good thing.

Reactions: EbS-P
Not worrying about a log hitting the baffle and cracking it is a good thing.
Is the cast over steel a big deal, or just a marketing ploy by Pacific energy, in other words do the physics correlate with what they claim, both radiant and convection heat from the unit.

I think the division between radiative and convective heating is not that useful.

We are talking about heating, a long-duration thing. A stove that heats the air by convection also heats radiatively. The (convective) air also heats the surrounding solid objects. And the radiative heat coming from the stove heats surrounding objects that heat the air.

So over the course of time, it is only the total heat output into the home that matters. Even when heating up a cold cabin; it is the total heat output that is what is heating the cabin. Not whether it is convective or radiant. So for this, you want a stove that can kick out a lot, to make it comfortable sooner, but also can be ran on a lower output 10 hour burn (to have a warm-ish home when coming back from skiing).

The difference may be noticeable in the beginning of a burn starting with a cold stove, having a warm front and a cold back for a stove that does not convect well (because it's a "radiating stove"). But I would not bother much with this differenc in making your choice. The PE T6 seems like a great (also looking) stove for this purpose.